thirty-nine.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Poppy paced in her red sparkly drape of a dress as her black heels click below her quickly, "what do you mean he wants me to-wa- no. Why didn’t you tell me yesterday?"

Bucky let out a chuckle, "because I had your panties in my mouth and that beautiful pussy riding my face, baby doll."

She rolled her eyes and pushed him gently, "damn it James, now I have to go deal with more than just my father...and hours before the launch party. Perfect. You know, I may look like I got it together. Currently holding it together with floss and hope." He slid his hand around hers, "I won't surprise you ever again."

She let out a loud sigh, "let's go so I can get drunk tonight." She smirked up at him and he took in a calming breath. She stomped toward the door, slipping into her tight black leather jacket, wrapping her manicured fingers around her little black clutch.

Poppy, Steve, Bucky, and Natasha sat around a table with Tony Stark. The brunette father was nervous as he stared next to him at his daughter dressed for the big party that evening, her hair a beautiful curly mop on her head.

"What's with the surprise luncheon Stark?" Poppy looked at him with an inquisitive emerald gaze as she took a sip of wine and started in on her chicken and rice. Natasha kept her eyes on her friend, who'd grown quite confident over just months within a new environment. Eyes were all on the redhead as Stark opened his mouth, Steve and James already aware of what will be laid at their girl's feet.

"I want to take you on as my right hand Poppy. I never had any other children and the only people I trust completely, are older than me and far less honest than you've been with me."

Poppy stared blankly, eyes squinting as she studied her father. She looked for a twinkle of something dishonest or curious, finding nothing but truthful hope in his chestnut eyes.

"Stark, wow. I mean I'm a hacker with an attitude problem. It's amazing and generous of you, but you really want me to run it?"

He laughed and shook his head, "no, not exactly. When I pass away, I wish for you to hold majority ownership in my corporations, but I will have others within my businesses ready to run it."

She shook her head as James' hand settled on her thigh, tracing calming circles on the bare skin.

"Dad, that's,.... why me? Why now?"

She stood with a quick jerk of the chair as she paced ahead of the group, Nat catching her friends' gaze. "Tiny, you need to breathe." The small girl stared at her friend's jade orbs as she took in a deep inhale quickly, closing her eyes before her feet started to move again.

Her eyes focus on her father, bewilderment covering all of her features. "You want to leave me your legacy, Tony, Dad? That seems impulsive, right?"

She never imagined he would actually wish for her to receive such a gift, without a question, such a large gesture was overwhelming. He looked at her as he stood up, his kind brown eyes softening at his panicked daughter. She paces before him just like her mother used to.

He looked at the two men sitting on either side of her empty chair nervously, then glanced at her best friend, the reason she met Tony Stark, Natasha.