thirteen.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Steve and James made their way into the office slightly late after a long weekend. Both eager to see the girl that blew all their minds over the weekend. Sam hurried into his Bucky's office with a pinched brow, "she called off."

Worry washed over the raven haired CEO, he was anxious her calling off was his fault. Which was only partly the case. However, she did ignore his texts the rest of the weekend. He scolds himself for reacting so harshly when she defended herself, extreme or not. He looked between his friends before looking at Sam's kind brown eyes. "Did she say why?"

His friend only chuckled, "no, and I didn't pry. She can take a day," he started before nervous tattood hands grip at long raven locks. "I'm gunna go check on her," he stated plainly as he stood up.

Steve and Sam shared a look, Steve chuckling, "she's fine. Probably just on a day two hangover."
Sam added, "bosses don't do that, Buck."

He only waved them off with a groaned, "I'm aware. Be back later, cover my morning."

Within a fourty minutes he was knocking on her door, nerves flooding over him as he held soup and flowers. A few shuffled footsteps, "who is it?" She hummed.

"Don't you have a peep hole, baby doll?" He smirked as he listened to her let out a groan.
"I'm not tall enough," she opened the door slowly revealing herself looking like a broken mess before him. Black sweatpants two sizes too big and a grey robe with a sadness that looked so painful etched on her face.

"I'm sorry I called off, it's just..I needed the day," she held the door at an angle so he couldn't see past. She had her head between the crack in the door as he attempted to peak around her.

She smiled down at his hands holding soup and flowers, "are those for me?" She smiled at the wad of dahlias in his hand, her absolute favorite. He held them out with a half smile, her small hand wrapping around them as she looked him over, his ripped nirvana tshirt showing off plenty of his chest ink as his leather jacket was on his arm. She smiled from the pink flowers to him, wiping her face of the remnants of emotional water works. She placed the flowers on the small glass table by the door then grabbed the soup. "Thank you James."

"So what's got you down, baby?"
She shook her head, "I don't want to talk about it. I'll be back at work tomorrow, I just-" he stepped closer to the door and she cringed, tightening her grip on the wood between them.

His eyes pleaded with her as she shook her head. "James, I'll be back at work tomorrow," she gave him an apologetic look before closing the door on him. With a furrowed brow and a deep flustered breath he ignored his rational mind telling him to leave her be and grabbed the knob.
He waited a few moments, attempting to talk himself out of invading her privacy, or maybe he was waiting for her to lock the door.