twenty-nine.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Bucky worked through his life on a need to know basis. It's not that he didn't care what was happening in the city around him and his business, because he did. It's that he focused on what he could control around him. We all know how important having the reigns on his reality is for James.

Steve had to tell Bucky something, his best friend knew he was keeping something from him. Steve made the difficult decision to, for now, tell his closest friend a half truth, with some whole truths sprinkled in. Steve had no idea what was happening around Poppy, and he didn't want to involve Bucky until he needed to.

Bucky walked into Steve's office Monday morning, opening the black door and shutting it with a quick precise, controlled movement.

When his eyes looked through his blonde friend's office, he is met with an exhausted looking Steve. "We need to talk, Rogers." His tone was harsh, Bucky felt himself losing control.

"I know, I know," Steve started. "So, the other day, when you asked what was wrong and I couldn't tell you..." Steve started like a nervous child and Bucky nodded for him to go on.

Steve's nervous hands pick at a piece of paper on his desk, "Poppy is going through a bit of a battle with who her father really is...he is a bit more powerful than she realized and their relationship is already proving to be pretty unhealthy."

Bucky pressed his brow trying to understand why Steve knew before him but just lifted his drink without a word.

"The other day when I was with her, after the Odinsons, something happened at her apartment," Steve looked back at the floor and took in a shuttered nervous breath as he spoke. Bucky's heart dropped, immediately thinking of the worst case scenario as Steve leaned forward with a reassuraning nod toward his friend.

"Stark showed up...not sober, they got in an argument after he was...really rude to her, and she went off, kinda lost it for a moment. Our little hacker can hold her own against anyone, that's for sure."

Bucky stood and walked to stare out the view from Steve's window, "Steve, just how dangerous is Stark?" Bucky finally asked in a tone with real concern.

Steve looked over at his friend, "well, some people refer to him as the king of New York, he didn't gain power the legal way, Buck." He nodded in response and turned to walk toward the door. 

Bucky turned with a confused face, walking to sit down. "Why don't I know this about Stark?"

Steve let's out an airy forced chuckle, "Buck, you choose not to hear these things. Poppy is a Stark, which means she isn't ever going to be just another girl."