Chapter 13

Elias POV

"Woohoo," Kai cheers from the backseat of Silas' car, already drunk, as we drive to the party. "I love this song!" He yells, standing up with his head sticking out of the top of the car, while Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat blares through the speakers.

Silas chuckles from the drivers seat as he watches Kai through the rear mirror. "Don't climb out Kai!" He yells at Kai when he tries to climb on top of the moving car.

"You party pooper," Kai sticks his tongue out at Silas when he sits back in his seat.

I laugh as Silas talks back at Kai, "I'm a party pooper for not wanting you to die?"

Kai shrugs his shoulders, deciding not to answer him, and instead changes the topic, "I'm so ready to get drunk."

"Are you sure you aren't already drunk," I comment, as Silas asks him if he's going to be with the girl he was with a few weeks ago, who came to the diner with us the morning after one of these parties.

"Oh yeah her," Kai says recollecting his memory. "I'm actually not sure what happened there, she seemed super into me, we were even talking about meeting up and shit when she ghosts me out of nowhere," Kai says sadly. "I actually liked her, now whenever I try to talk to her, she avoids me like the plague. It's so weird," he shakes his head.

Silas shrugs not understanding why she's avoiding him either, "oh well, it's not like you were going to date her anyways, or be your mate for that matter." Silas tells him.

"Hey! She could be," Kai argues, making me shake my head as well. Very unlikely a human girl would turn out to be Kai's mate. A human and werewolf pair that were mates is a rare occurrence. "Whatever," Kai mumbles sulking into the back seat.

I can feel Silas gaze on me, making me turn towards him. He has that mischievous look in his eyes, I quickly grab onto arm holder as he suddenly slams his foot on the break. Kai swears as his head hits the back of Silas seat.

"What the fuck asshole," Kai grumbles, rubbing his forehead. Silas and I burst out laughing. Silas continues driving as it never happened. "You always do this, dickhead," Kai complains, also laughing a little.

"Gotta think fast Kai, even Eli knew it was gonna happen this time," Silas tries cheering Kai up.

"Not fair, I was distracted this time," he exclaims, making me laugh more. Kai mumbles something about getting him back under his breath, despite the fact we are werewolves, and have perfect hearing.

*

We rock up to the party around 11pm, the house is already completely packed with most of our high school peers. Silas, Kai and I make our way into the kitchen as people are snorkeling drinks and taking shots in groups.

Immediately we are pulled over by some of our friends to take shots with them and Kai is dared to snorkel a beer, which he does without hesitation.

Everyone in the kitchen gathers around and cheers as Kai snorkels the beer within three seconds, to which he takes in the attention happily. Watching the scene play out in front of me, my mouth tugs into a smile.

I feel someone's gaze on me, making me shift my eyes to another pair, watching me from the other side of the kitchen.

Ryder stands there, handsome as ever watching me with a smile of his own. He is surrounded my his own friends who are also watching Kai as he accepts more drinking competitions.

The bloody idiot will be smashed before twelve even rolls around.

It's moments like this where I wish Ryder and I had marked each other so we could talk to each in our heads and feel each other's emotions. But I know we can't do that. If we were to mark one another, every other wolf would know based on scent alone.