Chapter 38

Elias' POV

I take slow blinks, allowing my eyes slowly adjust to the soft light that poured into my bedroom through the slightly opened window. The gentle spring breeze makes its way into my room, making it easier for me to get out of bed. I could hear two quiet snores from my bed, reminding me that Silas and Kai were both still sleeping in my bed. Instead of going back to Ryder's last night, we decided it would be best to spend time with our family and friends separately after coming home from the funeral.

It was a very emotionally draining day yesterday, just because the official funeral was over, it didn't mean any of our lives were back to normal just yet. Despite it being just over a month ago, it still felt like yesterday when everything went down. I would be forever grateful that Silas, Kai, my family, Ryder and his friends were safe and alive. Unfortunately, others weren't as fortunate.

I look back over to my bed where Silas was asleep on my his back with his arm poking out to the side, Kai decided to use Silas' arm as his pillow to rest his head on. Amused, I take out my phone to snap a photo of the two before they wake up.

Let's post this on Kai's birthday, Tobias tells me evilly.

Perfect idea.

*

"Coffee?" I ask over my shoulder to Kai and Silas when I sense them walk into the kitchen, an hour later.

Kai grumbles a response, which I know is a yes. I could still smell the alcohol on him from last night. "Yes please Eli," Silas responds, taking a seat beside our mother, who was already sipping at her coffee I made earlier, at the kitchen table.

I pop in another coffee pod to the coffee machine as my father speaks up, "How would you boy's like your eggs this morning?"

"Sunny side up, please Dad," Silas responds first.

"Same," I respond while passing Silas and Kai their coffees.

"What about you son?" My father asks Kai, cracking the eggs into the pan.

"Scrambled like my brain," Kai responds, with his poor hungover jokes, however, Dad still laughed.

Do you know what else is scrambled? Tobias asks me.

What? I ask curiously.

His hair.

I take a good look at Kai's hair and can't help but laugh. His hair had definitely seen better days. "I can't seem to tell if you're laughing with me or at me Eli." Kai glares at me.

"Definitely at you," Silas responds to him on my behalf.

I decide to keep my mouth shut as I continue to help Dad out in the kitchen, getting everyone's breakfast ready and putting it on the table. After 15 minutes Dad turns off the fan above the stove making everything seem so much quieter. "Poached eggs and hash browns for my beautiful mate," my dad announces, placing Mum's breakfast in front of her and kissing her on the cheek. Their love never failed to warm my heart.

Kai groans in satisfaction as he digs into his food happily, "so good," he moans.

"You're very welcome," Dad states, laughing at Kai's compliment.