Chapter 37

A month later
Third person POV

"We come together to celebrate the lives of those we have lost this past month," the funeral director spoke. A few sniffles and sobs could be heard, making the environment feel even more heavy. Elias looked a few rows up from him to see a broken Rosalia, whose's boyfriend and mate, Altas, had unfortunately died in the attack. Kai had attempted to save him but had been attacked as well. Fortunately, he was saved by Blaze last minute. Elias couldn't imagine what he would be like if he had lost his mate or best friend.

His heart hurt for all of those who had lost their lives in the attack. Although most of the lives lost were from the rouge pack, many of his own pack members and a few of Ryder's were lost. Together, the two packs held one big ceremony for those who were killed from both packs.

The funeral service continued for the next two hours before people got up to pay their respects and mingle with one another in the large room.

Silas spotted Kai standing at the bar alone, holding a drink and decided to join him. "How's your head doing?" He asks once he reaches him. Silas held his hand up to Kai's forehead, holding it to inspect it. He still had scabs on his forehead which were healing.

Kai waves his hand, forcing Silas to stop touching him, "Stop mothering me."

"If I don't who will?"

Kai takes a drink of his water, or what Silas hoped was water in his clear glass with ice. "Elias, probably." Kai shrugs.

"Probably," Silas responds. "How are you feeling? Besides physically."

Kai sighs, "I should've done better, I shouldn't have gotten knocked out like that. Maybe if I had been better Alta-" Kai struggled to get his name out. "I should have helped him quicker and better. And not just him, there are so many more that I could have saved." It was clear to Silas that Kai was guilt-ridden. From what Silas was told, Kai did everything he could, he helped to get the pups and children of the pack to safety, everyone did their best, and it definitely wasn't Kai's and anyone's fault for the actions of others.

Silas himself felt guilty that he wasn't able to do anything to help with the attack, but he was unconscious and there was nothing to change that now. Silas had awoken a week after the attack when the unfortunate news was delivered to him by his parents and Elias. He had also been told by his parents, who stayed by his side the whole time, that a few of the rouge wolves had managed to get into the hospital but luckily his parents and other pack members quickly took care of the situation.

"Kai," Silas spoke up, "you did everything you could have at that moment. Don't beat yourself up for actions that are beyond you. You were pinned down when Altas was...," Silas couldn't get himself to say it, "it's not your fault."

Kai didn't respond, instead, he took a sip of his drink and looked around the room, his eyes finding Rosalia who was still sobbing with her friends and Altas' family surrounding her. "I hope I never find my mate, I couldn't imagine what that must feel like," he tells Silas' who looks at what Kai was watching. "Having you unconscious was already bad enough, I wouldn't want to have to go through that with my mate."

"I could say the same thing about you, but luckily Blaze saved you so I will forever be grateful for that."

The mention of his name made Kai pause. He didn't know how to feel about the whole thing. Why did Blaze help him? Why not save Altas who was in far worse shape than him? It frustrated him. Especially now that he felt like he owed Blaze something for the favour. Maybe that's what it was all about, to be a level above Kai, to make him owe a favour.

Kai turned back towards the bar, taking a gulp of his drink. Silas decided to leave Kai to his thoughts and instead looked around the large room, finding his brother talking to their parents. His eyes then find Ryder and Blaze who were standing not too far away from him. "I'll be back in a moment," he tells Kai, before taking off in their direction.

Ryder notices Silas approaching before he had reached them. "Silas," he greets which gets Blaze's attention, nodding in Silas' direction in greeting.

"We have not yet talked properly," Silas mentions looking at Ryder, "especially after everything that's happened."

"We have not," Ryder agreed.

Silas took in a deep breath. "I wanted to thank you, for fighting alongside my pack when you didn't have to. I know it mustn't have been an easy decision, but you and your pack probably saved my pack, especially when I wasn't able to."

Ryder took in everything Silas was saying. "When I was younger I wished someone would've fought for my pack, maybe my life would have turned out a lot different if they had. I wouldn't wish anyone to lose the amount I had to when we fought them alone the first time, not even you. So you're welcome," Ryder says truthfully before continuing, "Besides I would never let Elias suffer through that pain."

Silas let out a small sigh of relief, "of course not. I'm glad Elias has you by his side, even if I hate the idea of it."

Ryder grins, "Well, you'll have to get used to it, brother."

"Please don't remind me," Silas grumbles whilst shaking his head, which made Ryder laugh. It felt nice to laugh when everything for the past month or so felt incredibly tense and depressing, even if it was because of Ryder. This doesn't mean they are friends now, hell no.

Silas' eyes look to Blaze who was staring at something at the bar. "And Blaze," Silas breaks Blaze's gaze, "I heard what you did for Kai. Thank you for being there when I couldn't be." Blaze looked taken aback by his words.

Blaze slowly nodded, "he's alright now? He took off from our pack's hospital the moment he woke up, despite being told not to."

Silas shakes his head in frustration and amusement, "That sounds a lot like him, but thankfully he's alright." Silas turned his head to the bar to see Kai still standing there, now with Maverick by his side. Kai offers a drink identical to the one he is holding to Maverick who takes it silently. Silas knew it definitely wasn't water he was offering.

"Is Maverick okay?" Ryder asks Silas, as they all watch Kai and Maverick stand at the bar side by side without speaking.

Silas took in a deep breath before responding, "Truthfully, I'm not too sure, after he got over the initial shock he kind of went silent. He only talks when he has to, or he'll return to his normal state when his drunk or high. If he is sober, he's just there but not really there at all."

"It might just take time, maybe he'll get past it with time."

"Hopefully," Silas respond quietly, really hoping it was the truth.