Chapter 1│Impression

My eyes open to a warm dusty room. The bright sun rays are peeking through my window forming a zigzag pattern on my blanket. Tiny dust particles are flying smoothly in the sunrays and there is warmth accompanying it.

It has been a while since I slept like this; totally out of this world. The shifting process has been so tiresome and still, I haven't properly arranged the furniture. I feel old now; taking care of the things I never used to. There is a loud chirping of birds outside as if every bird in this country has come to wake me up.

This is my first day in Korea, all alone.

I pull the blanket over my head to sleep again because my alarm hasn't yet runoff. Then, I hear a buzz. No, it's not my alarm. Is it a call? I instantly pick up my phone from the side table. An unknown number is ringing.

I pick it up.

"Good Morning! Is it Miss Mi Hana speaking?" asked a computerized, humanly voice.

"Yes, it is. Who is there?" I replied.

"Miss Hana, we are talking from La Belle cosmetic agency. You have an interview at 10 am today. Right?"

"Yes yes... there is."

"Alright. Miss Hana, it is to inform you that we have rescheduled your interview to 9 am instead. Sorry for the inconvenience, but our director has a very urgent meeting later. We are expecting your presence."

Before I could speak a word, the call ended abruptly.

What did she say? 9 am? I look at my phone's screen; it's exactly 8:09 am right now.

WHAT THE HELL.

I have to do so much. I have to take a shower, do my hair, and I have to find the way to La Belle. I don't know anything here. Google Maps will be my best friend for some time, I guess.

I hurriedly got up and went to take a shower. Thankfully, I have my outfit decided, which is lying on the sofa, ironed. After taking a shower and drying my shoulder-length hair, I changed into my outfit. I choose to wear a Korean-styled dress, even though I don't have much idea about that. Finally, I do a mirror check before leaving; white high-neck, tugged inside my blue denim pants, accompanied by a khaki long coat and black combat boots. Lastly, to complement the black boots, I wear a black beret hat.

It's 8:45 am. Whoosh, I'll reach on time, hopefully.

I instantly leave my apartment and trace La Belle on Google map. It's a 15 minutes drive, I'll make it. I walked to the nearest bus station and got the bus on time.

My phone buzzes again. But this time, it's dad.

"Hey, dad!" My voice was excited. It has been more than twenty hours since I spoke to him.

"Hi, my little bunny. Your dad misses you already," he said.

"Aww dad, I miss you even more. I am so tired after shifting and stuff. My back is aching, might need a bulldozer to straighten it."

He laughed. Oh my god, how much I miss him; his cute face that I use to see daily, his cozy hands, and his presence in general. You just shouldn't take some things for granted.

"Just take care of yourself until I get there, okay? And good luck with your interview."

"Thank you, dad. I surely miss home and those American evenings kinda vibe," My voice is almost breaking. Homesickness is a thing.

Suddenly, the bus stops with an abrupt halt.

Are we there? That was quick. But no one is moving. Everyone is trying to stand, but being seated on their seats. The long necks are blocking my view of the driver. It is 8:59 am, one minute to my interview. I stood up to inquire, but before that, the driver turns towards us and declares in a heavy voice,

"The engine has heated up. It may take ten minutes..."

The words are fading in my ears. Ten minutes? I didn't think. Just stood up, left the bus, and ran like crazy. I keep looking around for a taxi, but seems like everything is going against my luck, today. The map still shows a distance of 2km. I have to make it. 

The world is a blur around me. I am just running against the heavy wind, which is turning my cheeks rose pink. I am passing by every stranger, who is probably thinking I am running after robbing someone. My eyes are either on the phone screen or the road. After vigorously running which feels like an eternity, I can see a tall building at the corner of the road.

It's definitely La Belle.

My legs are trembling and I am panting like a crazy dog. My back seems broken. But the good thing was, I reached the building. It's 9:15 am already. I hope it won't matter.

The building is absolutely tall and lavish. But I have no time to catch sight of anything.

Finally, I stopped at the counter, and ask for my interview's destination.

9th Floor.

Nothing is in my favor today. My legs are frozen. I cannot run again. Just then, a ray of hope. The elevator is open. I started walking; it is closing.

OH MY GOD.

I run again. The only thing I can see are the doors; closing every inch, slowly and slowly.

"You can make it, Hana." I am only a few inches away; the door opening is enough to let me in. Just then, a thud. I stopped and the doors are sealed, so is my luck.

Shit. It's gone.

But wait, a thud?

I come back to my senses, ignoring the elevator now. It's a waiting room. I look back, and there is a man, struggling to get up. A brown liquid, coffee probably as it smells, is spilled on the floor. And a few papers lie dipped in the liquid. His shoes have stains of coffee, as well. He gets up.

He is wearing a black loose jacket with black trousers and sneakers. But I cannot see his face. He has it all covered like he is criminal hiding from the police. He has a black mask, covering his nose and lips. And over it, he is wearing a bucket hat that gives a bit glance of his hair from the backside.

"I am extremely sorry," I say feeling too embarrassed.

He doesn't say anything. He just fixes his hat and his eyes meet mine. They are dark and gazing at me like they could eat me up anytime. He gives me a long stare, and I cannot avoid it. It's like he is forcing me into them. Hypnotizing.

He didn't spit a word, but his eyes said everything. And then he walked off. His cold stare kept me frozen for a whole minute. My steps tremble, but on something- his wallet. I pick it up and it unintentionally opens like a book. There is a picture of a lady. Strangely familiar. And then it disappears suddenly. The man snatched it off my hand.

"Did you take anything?" he asked with a furious tone.

The tone was familiar, I could already tell.

"What do you mean? It was just lying on the floor and I..."

I didn't even finish, and he already turned his back to leave. The people stood watching me with weird looks, as If I stole something.

Leave it. It's not your day, Hana.