Chapter 44 | Banished

"What do you want to eat?" asked Jungkook, looking at the menu card.

"Umm, I don't know. Order what you like." He nods and places the order to the only waiter standing in the hotel. The waiter passes a smile and moves to the counter.

"Okay, so like you book the whole place all the time?" I ask him looking around the exceptional interior of the restaurant, lit with dim lights and light orchestra music played in the background.

"Everyone does not get that privilege," he said, sipping wine from his glass. I blush while smiling.

"I never knew you would get here, Jungkook. I thought you would pursue arts or something," I tell him, glancing around, while his eyes are glued to mine.

"You thought about me?" he asked.

"Of course, I did," I nodded lightly. "Even before coming back here, you were there, in my mind." He bites his lip.

"You were all over me. Every time, every day," his words made me want to kiss him.

I sipped the wine from the glass to hide my flushed smile.

"You didn't answer me earlier," he leans in.

"About what?"

"You knew me before you came to Korea, like as a singer, didn't you?" My hands tangled tightly under the table.

I loved you madly, what are you talking about?

"No, I didn't." His eyes went squint, trying to find the loose knot of this lie.

"Don't lie. You would have heard about me, at least."

"I said I didn't." He nods lightly, relaxing against the chair.

"I thought I saw your face at my concerts." His sudden remark made me laugh.

"Oh my god, Jungkook. Don't just make things up."

"I am not," he frowned.

"So, like you remember the faces of the hundreds of girls standing in the crowd?" I was still giggling.

"Not all, but many. Yours is one of them."

"Hah, you wish. I did hear about you, but I rarely got interested in you."

"You really didn't recognize me?" he asked, leaning on the table again.

"I swear I didn't. I have a picture of us together, I'll show you. You won't even guess yourself."

He smiles. "Thank you for being here."

I smile back. Suddenly, a thought hit my head.

"Jungkook?"

"Hm?"

"Jimin told me about your father." His eyes open wide in surprise. "Only now I realize that I have been so close to him, it breaks....my heart."

He takes a deep sigh. "Let's not talk about it if you are not okay," I say, gripping his hand that rested on the table.

"You deserve to know everything, my love," he squeezed my hand back.

"Ahhh..." he started. "Earlier that day when your mother passed away, dad announced that he is going to divorce mom." My eyes open in shock. Back from what I remember, they were the ideal couple. At times, even mom used to complain to dad about how unromantic he was unlike Jungkook's parents.

"And then her best friend passed away, she was devastated." I could see the little tears watering his eyes. "Dad came back after a month of his absence and apologized to mom, saying that he was just trapped by a foolish woman, and mom believed him."