Chapter 4 | Rush

I am casually dressed in my pajamas. My back is aching even more than earlier. I have finally arranged my apartment, with every piece of furniture at its definite position. 

Back in America, we had quite a capacious house; the upper floor was often empty; after all, it was just me and dad.

This apartment is kind of very enormous for me. It's difficult to take care of the living room, kitchen, and balcony at the same time; I just use a small part of the apartment that is my room. But, just a few days more till dad joins me and he can take care of the house when I am gone.

I stood up from the sofa to take a shower, just when I heard the ring of my phone. It was a text message.

"Hana, Miss Ombre is finally back from America. She wants to meet you asap. Come to the reception once you are here," said the message.

It has been a month since my training started and also a month since Miss Ombre went to America for her business trip. This month has been pretty hassling. We received training half of the day, and the other half was often an activity time when we used to accompany makeup artists on their trips to observe better. I have seen several celebrities in person by now and learned a lot of makeup tricks.

Our final month has begun and we all are working tirelessly.

I rushed to the bathroom and got ready. The way to La Belle is so familiar now. I see the same vendors every day, the same roads, the same trees, and the same people often.  As I entered La Belle, as always, the intricate, cursive design caught my attention.

"La Belle Dame sans miséricorde" that literally means, "The Beautiful Lady without mercy"

Always a motivation when I read this.

Soon, I was at the reception, where the same lady was on day one; the only difference was that we are good friends now.

"Hey, Dan oh! Is Miss Ombre here yet?" I inquired.

"Yes, she is looking forward to you,"

I instantly went to her office. She sat on a sofa, in front of the table, sipping her tea.

I greeted her and we talked generally about the last month. After initiating a bit of conversation, she kept her cup down on the table and straightened herself.

"Hana, you see, I have been looking at your progress from last month," she said looking at the tablet in front of her that showed a picture of a model I did makeup on for a shoot. "I am really happy, but not surprised because I knew you would show your best to us."

Then, she stopped talking and pursed her lips, looking at me with a smile.

"Hana, I think your one-month training is enough for you to learn things. You are an American graduate and I believe you know much more than we do here. And all this magic you have done on these models is something extraordinary. I want you to step up now, and help us."

"Sure, Miss Ombre. My services are always there for you. But what exactly do you need help with?"

"Okay, so Hana, I want you to start working as a celebrity stylist now. You may think this as early, but I think you are ready now."

Is she really not kidding? It hasn't been a month since me being here, and she is asking me to be a celebrity stylist already? I stay quiet.

"Hana, I know you are too anxious about it. But I see some things that others don't. Your hands and mind work like magic. The models you worked on, I have never seen anyone doing things so professionally. And you tell me? Don't you want to be a celebrity stylist one day or another?"

I nodded lightly, still processing her words.

"Alright, then. I am giving you a chance now," she announced.

Her chances. Oof.

"But who exactly am I going to work for?" I asked.

"There is a list of some celebrities whose artists have either resigned or their contract is over. But, I have someone in my mind for you. Want to know?" she smirked.

I am still awestruck by her decision. But, I eagerly nodded. My mind was brainstorming the list of celebrities who are associated with this agency. Recently, Dan oh showed me a file of about a hundred pages with just the names of different celebrities, singers, performers, actors, and actresses, including one of my favorites too, and their makeup artists. The usual pattern I noticed was the absence of makeup artists' names in front of many female artists. I am probably getting one of them.

"Okay, you will meet him this evening."

Him? He's a male celebrity???

"I won't tell you about him, it will make you more anxious, maybe. I think that 'him' was enough for you," she laughed lightly. "Meet me in the meeting room at 5 pm. You will just have to do a bit of a model's demo makeup so that he is satisfied."

She instructed me to pack a bit of my makeup stuff and have lunch before I come back.

Lunch? What lunch? I am on the verge of fainting right now. Am I living in a dream right now? How can Miss Ombre say all that so easily? My mind was boggling with all these questions. I cannot even guess who he is. I mean just the gender was not enough for me to even make any guesses.

Let's see what fate has for me.