Chapter 83 | Dialogue

"I'll pick you up in half an hour, okay? We don't have much time, the flight is due soon." I nod and get out of the car, as dad was headed towards the car wash. I entered the graveyard, with a heavy heart again. The feelings are always mixed. On one hand, it's where my mom is now, and on the other hand, this place is like a nightmare for me- the way it brings so many bad memories back. I look around, and the place is comparatively less crowded today than usual, though its evening. I can see some young people in the distance which I rarely see here; and of course, a few old men who are always there, no matter what.

  I walk past many graves, roughly reading the names engraved on them; so many lives, so many tragedies, so many struggles; it's not as easy as it looks. I finally reach where mom lies. My heart is sad, again. Tears roll down my cheeks and I try my best to muffle my voice.

"I am sorry mom. I always cry whenever I come here. It's just..." I take in a big sigh. "I miss you all the time. I hate seeing you here and not with me. I am jealous of this space that is holding you when my arms were the ones you should be in."

  I look up at the clear, blue sky and close my eyes to say a prayer for her. When I return my eyes to the ground, I notice something I should have had minutes ago. It was a bouquet; of pink roses. I picked it that was lying right on the cemented surface. The flowers were fresh and their scent was strong. They weren't too old. Still holding it in my hand, I looked around the yard, but there was no one close. And even if there was, I couldn't be sure of who kept these here. Dad always tells me when he is visiting mom, and today, he was with me the whole time, busy packing.

"Someone would have mistakenly kept this here," I thought to myself. I placed the bouquet right back where it was and glanced at mom's name for the last time.

"I am not sure if this is the last time, mom. I wish I could take you along with me. I hate leaving you here, all alone. But I promise, when I'll think I am close to dying, that is not too far, I'll come back and find a place right beside you. I will come back, just to be here....I am sorry, mom." My eyes were producing a stream of tears and I couldn't speak anymore.

With a heavy heart, I took a step to leave, but no. The flowers are clearly bothering me. I picked them up again and moved them around to inspect. At the end of the bouquet wrap, there was penned a tiny name; Rosalía. As far as I know, this is the town's richest flower shop. The name didn't help but added even more confusion. I took the bouquet and moved along the lane. I would never know who kept these here.

I finally make my way back towards the graveyard's entrance, holding the bouquet. When I left the lane, I saw an old lady, planting something near one of the graves. My mind was continuously bugging me to let go of the dumb idea in my mind, but what's wrong with trying. So, I walk to her and bow down to alert her.

"Excuse me?"

The lady is still busy with her planting. I say it one more time, but she doesn't respond again. I try it again, but this time I tap her shoulder lightly. She becomes alert, suddenly and looks up at me. The faded sunrays were blocking her view, and her eyes were shut close. I raised my hand so that my shadow could cover her eyes. She finally opens them. To my surprise, she is way older than I expected her to be. Her face is all wrinkled and shriveled.

"Do you work here?" I ask her, but she just stares at me as if she doesn't understand my language. Instead, she smiles and indicates 'one' with her finger and returns to her planting. I distanced myself and waited for that 'one' minute to pass. She finally, gets up but slowly as if her knees are having some trouble and she is way shorter than I imagined. She walks with a bowed figure. I bet she is over hundred. How can she even plant being this old?

She walks up to me and gazes intently with a smile. For a moment, I thought I am like her lost child who she has been waiting for years. I open my mouth to speak again, but her hands approach her pocket and she searches through them, finally taking out what looks like an earpiece and fitting that in her ear. I squint my eyes to realize it's the device implant deaf people use. When she finally fits it in, she looks at me again.