seventy-four

& I can go anywhere I want, anywhere I want... just not home.

plz excuse the non edited parts
𓆙━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𓆙
𝗗𝗿𝗮𝗰𝗼 𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗳𝗼𝘆
𓆙━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𓆙

plz excuse the non edited parts 𓆙━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𓆙𝗗𝗿𝗮𝗰𝗼 𝗠𝗮𝗹𝗳𝗼𝘆𓆙━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𓆙

𓆙━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𓆙
PRESENT-DAY
𓆙━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𓆙

A University of London study showed that when a person looks at a piece of art that they see as beautiful, there is an instantaneous release of dopamine, a chemical that is linked to feelings of love, into the brain.

Staring at Marley Kingsley was the most exquisite form of self-destruction. Like stepping into an art museum and becoming fixated on the way paint meets a canvas.

Marley and I stood in front of the Kingsley residence for thirty-five minutes after we arrived via car. It was the evening of her parents' baby shower and she had not talked to them since.

We both got ready at Marley's flat in the city, having a weekend pass away from Hogwarts and leaving our studies for the time being.

In order to ease her nerves, Marley drank when she was doing her hair and makeup. She finished a whole bottle of wine and half a bottle of champagne before she was even ready to put her long-sleeved black dress on.

She tried to convince me that she is the only reason why her hair is perfectly curled, and it had nothing to do with the mean, degrading outside comments from her parents persuaded her that her worth is more when she looked a certain way.

I knew she looked perfect and her worth wasn't determined by her looks, but she was still working on seeing that. "You ready?"

"Yes," she said softly, only for me to hear her voice. "I just need a few seconds longer."

"We don't have to go in," I proposed, feeling how anxious she was. "You don't have to do this. You don't owe them anything."

I reached down to interlace our fingers together and I could feel the strain and tension in her body just by feeling alone.

She wasn't scared. She was apprehensive and I can't understand why.

My poor baby. All I wanted to do was take her home to the cottage and let her curl into my lap on the couch by the fire. She felt safe at the cottage. She was protected there.

That was the only reason why I was here... to protect her. I needed to protect her. It was my only mission since I got some of the memory back. I was a massive asshole to her and she doesn't remember or realize it.

It's as safe to say that the guilt was driving me to do better- to be better for her. I couldn't lose her. But, if I pulled the same shit I did when we were in sixth year.. She would never take me back.