𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐈𝐈: 𝐤𝐚𝐞𝐝𝐞𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚 𝐤𝐚𝐳𝐮𝐡𝐚

II

II. KAZUHA

Kaedehara Kazuha woke up in the middle of the night after having a nightmare. His breathing was heavy and his eyes shot open. He realized he was just in his room and exhaled deeply, relieved. He slowly sat up and rubbed his head, wincing from the painful headache pounding within his brain.

He got out of bed and went to the bathroom, closing the door behind him. He turned on the faucet and splashed his face with water, trying forget the recurring nightmare. He repeated the process a few more times before drying his face and hands with a nearby towel. He took a moment to stare at himself in the mirror and sighed.

He was falling. That was his nightmare. Falling, with no way of stopping and no control. At first, it was peaceful and the blue sky accompanied him, but then he'd see a city below and realize he was going to die. It was the same every time; he'd descend at a rapid pace and the wind would howl in his ears as he plummeted. He'd try searching for anything to escape his situation, but it would never amount to anything. And just before he hit the ground...

He'd wake up.

He wondered what it would feel like if he died, or if it'd feel like anything at all. Maybe there'd be a split second of him feeling all his bones shattering, and then he'd wake up. He was curious, but he was still glad his mind wouldn't allow him to experience it.

He was starting to question whether there was a point to falling asleep anymore, if he'd only wake up gasping for air.

⊱✿⊰

"Tomo, what are you doing...?"

"Putting barrettes in your hair!"

"And uhm... Why, exactly?"

Tomo grinned, "I like playing with your hair. It's really soft!"

"Thank you," Kazuha smiled to himself. "It feels nice."

"Good, I'm glad. Now... I have an important question for you," Tomo stated as he ran his fingers through the other boy's hair.

"What is it?"

"What do you plan on doing with your life? Like, job-wise."

"I'm not sure... Have you been thinking about that?" Kazuha queried, tilting his head slightly to the side.

"Hey, don't move your head too much," Tomo ordered. "And I guess so... In a way."

Kazuha wondered what he meant by that. He wanted to ask, but Tomo quickly changed the subject.

"Anyway, how have your other friends been doing?" He questioned, grabbing a pink barrette and clipping some of Kazuha's red hair with it.

"They're alright," he shrugged. "Y/n and Gorou still refuse to get along."