𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐕𝐈𝐈: 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐨𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧

VII

VII. MAKOTO

Someone who wanted to be a mother, yet never found anyone to settle with.

She always had intense motherly instincts, which was why she never approved of how Ei treated her son. He was an innocent little boy, given unfair treatment by everyone around him.

Makoto hadn't known about the bullying until she decided to pick Kunikuzushi up from the park one day, wanting to treat him afterward before taking him home to his mother. When she arrived, however, her nephew was covered in scrapes on the ground while other kids stood above him, taunting him.

She gasped and rushed out of the car, running over to Kuni. She squeezed through the small group of kids and kneeled down beside him. Seeing his face scratched up, she furrowed her brows and her eyes were suddenly glossy. Her eyes scanned his figure and she identified each injury before turning back to his attackers.

"All of you did this?" She demanded, to which they nodded out of fear.

"Where are your parents!?" She exclaimed, glancing around the park to see no one. "Why would you all do such a thing? Honestly, what could he have possibly done to deserve this?"

"H-He was being annoying..." One of them said.

"...Despicable. If this happens again, I will find and tell your parents. Come on, Kunikuzushi."

He scrambled to his feet, wincing from the pain of his wounds. He was quick to follow Makoto out of the crowd and she held his hand, leading him to the car. Once there, she placed her hands under his arms and picked him up, putting him in the back seat. She jumped into the front seat and slammed the door shut.

"Have those kids hurt you before?" She asked, trying to be as gentle as possible.

She looked at him through the rearview mirror and he nodded silently.

She sighed, "You should've told me or your mom, Kuni."

"I did tell Mom," he murmured.

"You did...?" She suddenly cleared her throat. "Well, I'll have a talk with her about that. For now, though, how about we get some ice cream? I'll fix up your scrapes with my med-kit when we get there."

"Okay!"

She knew how to make children happy. She devoted a significant amount of time to Kunikuzushi because she knew he deserved it and if no one gave him love, he would turn out as cruel as his mother. So, she did her best.

She gave him notes with his school lunches, saying things like 'don't let anyone bother you, you're plenty better than them <3' or something as simple as 'I love you'. 

She wasn't sure when her sister became such a harsh person, but she knew it had something to do with childhood trauma, and Makoto attempted convincing Ei to attend therapy or to try  medicine. Unfortunately, Ei rejected all possibilities of her getting better, and instead settled on making her son miserable.