𝖽𝗎𝖼𝗁𝖾𝗌𝗌 | 𝒃𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒄𝒕

𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑔 : benedict bridgerton x duchess! reader

𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦 : the reader goes to stay at the bridgerton house and catches the eye of the second eldest bridgerton son.

𝑤𝑎𝑟𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 : none

𝑡𝑦𝑝𝑒 : fluff

𝑓𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑜𝑚 : bridgerton

you stepped out of your carriage and took in the sight of the beautiful bridgerton house

you stepped out of your carriage and took in the sight of the beautiful bridgerton house. your fathers' descriptions of it did not do it honor. after your mother had passed your father had fallen gravely ill only a year after. your stepmother had sent you off to give your father time to heal and for you to find a worthy suitor. you knew your stepmother only married your father for his riches, but you knew you had no say in the matter. your step-mother was good friends with lady bridgerton which is why she sent you to her. you heard she had plenty of children including one daughter who was only a year younger than you, daphne was her name.

in the bridgerton house, the occupants were hurrying to get everything in place. "i expect everyone to be in perfect attitude for today's guest. it's not every day that we get a duchess visiting our humble estate!" lady bridgerton said as she pointed to her eight children to make sure they were sitting straight. as she did so a staff member walked into the tea room. everyone got quiet as they started to speak, "duchess y/n y/l/n." everyone stood in a line from oldest to youngest as you walked in. everyone bowed at you as you bowed in return. your eyes met with the second eldest and you smiled politely before looking at the lady bridgerton. "lady bridgerton i offer my many thanks for you allowing me to stay here for the time being." you smile at the kind-looking woman. "oh please call me violet or mama, my grace" she smiled back. "and you may call me y/n, miss violet."

you spent the rest of the evening meeting the younger bridgertons, you found yourself especially interested in benedict and eloise. it was now a week after your arrival and miss violet had decided to throw a ball in your honor so you could catch a glimpse of the suitors in london. you had spent all day preparing for the ball, getting your best dress from madame delacroix.

the beginning of the ball started with a lord asking for a dance. he was tolerable but not much to your interest. you could not leave the dance floor faster, immediately running into benedict. "mr bridgerton, i must say it is a relief to see you." you sighed in relief. "as opposed to not being relieved in my presence at any other time?" benedict laughed, "mr bridgerton i didn't mean it in that way." you smiled. "please you must stop calling me mr bridgerton." benedict told you, you admittedly had been using very formal names for everyone in the bridgerton family. "my deepest apologies, what shall i call you then? benedict seems too much, perhaps a nickname ?"

"a nickname ?" benedict questioned, "yes, of course, benedict could be shortened to ben or perhaps benny." you smiled, satisfied with your name for your now close friend. "i've gone all my life not being called benny." he said seriously, fixing his coat and he talked. "well it's a good thing i'm here now, it's about time someone called you by a proper name." you smiled trying not to burst into laughter. soon losing this battle after benedict started laughing as well. you both caught some stares considering your laughing fit.

after calming down another dance had begun. benny caught eye of your dance card. he quickly grabbed it and wrote down his name. "i hope you don't mind a dance your grace." "not at all." you grabbed his arm as he lead you to the dance floor. after the dance you and benedict had stayed on the side for the rest of the night. having conversations of anything your minds could think of. "so you're an artist benny?" "not exactly, i only draw a bit." "well i wish to see these drawings one day." you smiled at him, earning a smile back.

little did the both of you know that lady danbury and lady bridgerton were across the dance floor watching you two talk all night. "it seems that the young duchess has found her suitor." lady danbury said with pride, "it seems as if she has, with my son none the less." "we have to do whatever we can to make sure our efforts succeed. this couple would be extraordinary." "i agree, and our efforts have never failed before lady danbury."