𝗄𝗂𝗌𝗌𝖾𝖽 | 𝒃𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒄𝒕

𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑔 : benedict bridgerton x reader

𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦 : benedict and the reader almost kiss at a late-night ball which leaves them questioning their feelings for each other

𝑤𝑎𝑟𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 : none

𝑡𝑦𝑝𝑒 : fluff

𝑓𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑜𝑚 : bridgerton

it wasn't a secret that you and benedict always had chemistry

it wasn't a secret that you and benedict always had chemistry. but neither of you acted on it, you were both too oblivious to the other's feelings. there was one time when he helped you into a carriage that you could've jumped on him and kissed the living daylights out of him but that would've been extremely improper. or the time you fell into a lake from an eroding dock, and benedict would've pinned you on the ground after seeing the water droplets fall from your chest.

it was a difficult relationship, to say the least. but now you had both grown up and you haven't seen benedict in a year. you had been abroad for your schooling but you decided to go back to london. you missed the misty air and the people most of all. as your carriage stopped, you hurriedly grabbed your bags even though your servants would strip them from your hands the second you stepped off. the bridgerton house looked at beautiful as ever, the blue and purple flowers were in full bloom. you stepped through the threshold and made your way to the tea room.

lady bridgerton noticed you first, jumping from her sewing work to hug you. you smiled and hugged her tightly back. next was anthony with his new wife, kate. then daphne, eloise, colin, and the three youngest bridgerton siblings. you couldn't help but notice the absence of a certain bridgerton. "where is benedict ?" you asked the group, waiting for their answers.

"he's abroad currently, but he's coming back tomorrow for your ball." lady bridgerton answered. "my ball? for what ?" you questioned. "for your return of course!" young gregory responded, beaming up at you. "that's very kind lady bridgerton, thank you." you smiled as she hugged you once more. the rest of the day was spent catching up and getting familiar with the bridgertons once more. it felt weird being in the house without benedict, but you swallowed up the feeling and continued with your conversations.

the next day came faster than expected and you spent the morning getting ready. your hair was done in tight curls with pins holding stray pieces from falling. your light blue dress looked flawless on you and you pulled your white gloves on. you blessed the fact of gloves for your hands would certainly become clammy after seeing benedict again. you were nervous to see him again. what if he was already courting a lady ? one more beautiful than yourself.

the ball was beginning and you made your way downstairs. everyone made their way to see you, some you recognized some you didn't. you were seen as fresh meat for the courting season, a new addition to the pack. young men made their way to you and danced until your feet could barely be used for standing. you decided to excuse yourself and take a seat outside for fresh air.

while sitting there you noticed a figure making its way towards you. "i'm sorry but i need a break before i can dance again." you automatically assumed they were trying to court you. as the figure came more into the light you realized it was benedict. your benedict.

"benny ? is that you ?" you asked him, to which he smiled. "yes of course it is." he sat down next to you. "i haven't seen you in so long, how were your travels?" you asked him, he traveled to france to learn more about arts and painting. you were proud of him for following his dreams but you missed him so much when he left, that's the reason you left to study in the first place. "it was beautiful but i missed home, how about you? how were your studies ?" he smiled at you, his face heated up. "it was nice, but just like you i missed london. i don't think i could leave for so long again." benedict smiled at your response, and you both continued talking. about your experiences out of london and little things. by far this is what you missed most. just talking with benedict about anything and everything. you noticed his more mature features like the way he styled his hair differently. the way he carried himself and his slight french accent after speaking the language for more than a year.

he looked at your more feminine physique, the time away gave you time to find more of yourself and how to incorporate more of that into every day. a year can give each other time to grow as people. you were talking about some experience with your tutor back in scotland, and benedict couldn't look away from your mouth. your light pink lips moved with your words and his eyes couldn't look anywhere else. he knew what kissing you meant. if anyone were to catch you he'd have to propose to keep both of your family's reputations intact.

you noticed benedict's eyes and how they were no longer focused on your eyes to remain eye contact. you noticed his eyes were now focused on your mouth, and he blushed after he noticed you had stopped talking. "benedict?" you asked him after he turned his head away from you. he turned his attention back to you and leaned in, so your noses were touching, you could feel his breath on your face and his stray hairs were tickling your forehead. "i don't think i can stay away from you ever again." he whispered just loud enough to so you could hear. he was slowly leaning in and your eyes started to close until you heard the door open next to the bench you were sitting on. "oh!" you turned to look and saw eloise and penelope standing there watching you. "how long were you there?!" you jumped up and asked them. "not long." eloise replied and quickly turned around and forced penelope back into the ballroom. you hurried back to follow them and stopped them. "whatever you both saw it's not what you think." you told them. "what happens if lady whistledown figures out what happened? then both of your families would be ruined." penelope made the fact. your eyes widened and you realized how correct penelope was, lady whistledown found out about everything. "i'll figure this out i promise just please don't tell anyone what you saw." they both nodded and scurried away. you sighed and went through the rest of the ball without one sight of benedict. you assumed he was embarrassed by the encounter and was trying his best to forget it. you had known benedict since you were a toddler, he probably sees you as another sister.

the next morning you got ready and made your way downstairs for breakfast. the bridgertons were waiting for you, you sat down and started eating. when you looked up they were all staring at you. "what's wrong?" you asked them. "go to the back pavilion!" hyacinth called out, to which colin shushed her for. you decided to excuse yourself and made your way to the back, you saw benedict standing there staring out to the lake behind the bridgerton household. "benedict ?" you said as he turned around to look at you. he took a deep breath and got down on one knee in front of you.

"will you marry me ?"