Can I Pick? : 20

Kaitlyn's POV

My anxiety was all over the place, not knowing where we were going. But for some reason, I trusted Roman. The drive took 45 minutes and we pulled into a wooded parking lot. Roman got out and I followed suit.

"Soooo... Where are we?" I asked.

"We are at Manito park, Spokane, Washington." Roman replied.

"Okaaaay.... What does that mean?" I asked.

"We are at my favorite place in Washington, come on. I want to show you around." Roman took my hand and pulled me along with him.

I followed him through plant archways and down a path lined with different flowers to a gazeebo. Then we left the gazeebo and went down a path in the middle of the gigantic garden to a water fountain.

"So, why is this your favorite place in Washington?" I asked, breaking the silence.

There was an awkward silence, as if he was debating on whether or not to tell me before he spoke.

"It was my Mom's favorite place in the world. She took me here every spring when the flowers would bloom. Whether I wanted to go or not, I always liked coming here with her. We haven't came here for four years...." Roman trailed off.

I bit my lip to keep me from asking the question that was nagging at me.

"Why haven't you come here for four years?" I asked the question that I knew was overstepping.

Roman paused, and then surprisingly answered.

"My Mom.... She passed away from brain cancer. My Dad couldn't handle raising me, so once Alan turned 18 my Dad passed parental rights to my brother. I haven't seen my Dad in three years." Roman replied.

"Oh, I'm-I'm so sorry.... I shouldn't have asked." I appologized.

"No, you're fine. You were curious. I get it. I would have been curious about it too if I were you." Roman replied.

"Come on, this isn't the only part of the gardens." He added, tugged gently on my hand.

I followed him up some steps and we walked along a wooded path in silence. Then we walked along a wooden fence and came to a gate. We went in a found ourselves on a wooden path with ponds, japanese trees, two bridges and flowers around us. We walked around and went onto one of the bridges.

"That fish looks like you." Roman commented.

"Rude! I'm not a fish!" I exclaimed, crossing my arms and turning my small frame away from him.

"I didn't mean that you're a fish. I meant.... It reminds me of you because it's the smallest fish here, but it still is swimming around confidently even though it's fragile." Roman explained.

"I don't know whether to kiss you or shove you off the bridge." I retorted as I felt my face grow hot.

"Can I pick?" Roman asked.

Suddenly he was a lot closer, standing in front of me. I held my breath and wished I was a fish swimming peacfully in the pond beneath us. I had never really realized it but he was a whole foot taller than me. He leaned in slightly and my hands shot up to his chest to stop him. He immeidiatly stopped and stepped back.

"Sorry, I don't know what I was doing." He appologized, scratching the back of his neck.

"It-it's fine...." I mumbled.

We walked in silence and eventually got back to his car. We rode in silence to the ice cream place and got ice cream before heading home. We got out of the car and went inside in silence. I grabbed leftover pizza for lunch, ate it and then went to my room.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys!

So far I'm doing good on the one a day thing.

Hopefully I can keep it up!

Comment and vote if you liked it and have a wonderful day!

-M