44. His only friend (Kai x Ein)

(Well long time eh? Been busy being a big kid now. Anyways, here to give you guys some possible trigger warnings. Care about you readers. Warnings include: bullying, depression. Read at own risk. Non-verbal communication as well at some moments. Will update older chapters for warnings as well. Peace.)

. . . . . . . . . .

The front door slammed so hard, it almost gave off of the doorway. A storm of heavy footsteps rushing across the house, not paying any mind to the two parental figures waiting for the teenager's return. He didn't care anymore. He just wanted the comfort of his room.

He was so done with school, and the people who attended the horrible place. So done with how everyone treated him there. His feet carried him aimlessly to his room where he knew he'd be safe. The one room he was not bothered in. Pity really... Kai closed the door, sliding down the back of it with such low energy. Tears flooding his eyes as he made his way to the floor. He hated this so much. Nothing felt nice anymore..

When did life become such a nightmare? Was it always this cruel? The mask he put on outside of his house.. It would give him countless awards for acting abilities. No one has seen past it. Not even Aphmau... Was that a good thing? He didn't know anymore.

Kai started to sniffle, trying to make sure his breathing stayed at ease. He had to stay calm. Can't let the antis win. His ears flatten against his head though in betrayal, what great friends he had in them. His eyes staring into the floor as his brain ran wildly. So many dangerous thoughts. Thoughts of anxiety, of being burnt out, and overwhelmed. He has lost so much sleep to these thoughts. The darkness under his eyes to represent that.

It left him weak. He would oversleep, be late to class. Often this would lead him to get caught by the stronger rebellious kids that roamed the halls instead of going to class themselves. Their fists and feet met Kai's body more times than he could count. Bruises and blood loss to be had. He had a few right now, littering across his limbs and stomach.

The tears ran quicker. He didn't realize he had zoned out so deeply. His chest raising and falling quickly from the stressful thinking. He hated all of this. He wanted to say something to his parents or teacher but fear had his screams trapped inside. His fingers dug into his legs as he pulled his knees to his chest. Orange hair flooding his sight, he rested his head upon his knees so he wouldn't drop completely onto his side. He was so done..

Then.. there was a familiar, soft whimper. Snapping his head back up, Kai saw a pair of glowing eyes looking at him. A duo of bright, silver orbs that often reminded him of the moon. They belonged to a creature that was beyond the high schooler's understanding.

The being was a lengthy thing, having be probably over six feet tall. Long, pointed ears on his head, covered in fluff. Hair thin but long, waving down to his shoulder blades. Along behind him was a long, wildly thick furred tail which looked wolf like. He had on just a pair of simple shorts. His frame was thin yet strong, and black marks laced his hands and feet, traveling up the limbs.

Kai wasn't sure who he was or what he was. He just... showed up one day. Or night he should say. He was there just one midnight, watching Kai toss and turn then wake from his sleep. Then he just.. never went away. He would appear at night and only ever in Kai's bedroom. Especially those nights... when the meif'wa needed him most.

He wiped his nose with a shaking hand. His friend whimpered again, curiosity in his eyes. Kai had named him Ein. He hated not having a proper name to call the beautiful creature. It just felt very wrong inside.