34. Heartbeat (Daniel x Blaze)

(I'll let you decide who is who for the fun of it, Blaze and Daniel. Enjoy.)

A certain werewolf bolted awake. Scared and shaken, he looked around to find himself still in bed. His boyfriend beside him as the two had fallen asleep earlier.

His ears were back as he took deep breaths. To not wake the other, he tried to remain quiet. His nightmare haunting his thoughts still. The shrieks, the tears, the flashes. It was too much for him to handle.

He didn't like the nightmare. It had easily gotten to him, confused him, seemed to choke him. But he didn't understand. What had he done to deserve this nightmare?

He just needed to calm down. Yeah. He combed his tail softly, feeling tears cover his cheeks. It nearly stung as he felt shivers up his spine.

The werewolf ran a hand through his hair. He counted to ten the best he could but only got to three before breaking down into sobs. The crying almost burning to him.

He couldn't manage to count to ten. Though he knew he was able to, he couldn't find the power to. His hands shaking and his ears low as he wished for the bad memory to go away.

He cuddled up close to his boyfriend, taking in his scent. He then placed his ear against his chest, hearing his heartbeat. It was calm and soothing to the panicked boy.

A single beat. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes. He focused on his breathing, his crying. His sobs silencing.

On the second heartbeat, he listened to it clearly. It comforted him, reassured him. He felt safe, protected against harm. The werewolf gulped.

Then the third heartbeat followed by a fourth as well. The beats were relaxed, patterned in it's own self. He nuzzled his boyfriend chest and hummed a breath. By now his increased breaths and crying were mainly over.

The fifth, sixth, and seventh continued the pattern. By now the male was at ease until he remembered the nightmare.

He gasped, gripping his boyfriend's shirt softly. His tail curled around himself as he whimpered, hiding against it. Fear taking over his thoughts as it was painful to remember.

The werewolf then felt a shield surround him. The warmth and comfort like a blanket of love and care. He knew by the scent that his boyfriend shifted to hold him but if awake, he wasn't sure.

He nearly started crying again. He forgot about the heartbeats until he felt his lover's arms around him. He listened to it again. He had to remember what number he was on.

Eighth beat. It reminded him of hope, happiness and light. It forced the darkness and evil away, almost like a blessing.

Then the ninth and soon the tenth. The pattern calming him down again. A freedom from any bad dream.

Nearly purring, the werewolf knew he was safe. He had laughter, hugs, and love. The heartbeat brought the bright side of life. He yawned, nuzzling against his boyfriend before falling asleep again. And he managed to count to ten this time.