Chapter 89: Countdown

Dylan Xander's POV

Six Hours & Twenty-Three Minutes Until Particle Collision...

Resting on the bed in the med-bay, I was surrounded by Evan, Kana and Katsuki. My friends were now just entering the space after finishing tests.

Katsuki hadn't left my side, he sat beside me with his arm by mine.

Without my super suit, I laid in the Haven Labs sweatshirt and some grey sweatpants I left in one of my overnight bags.

"The Meta that affected you had begun to boil your the liquid within your body. You're lucky you have Speed Healing or you'd have gone into cardiac arrest" Kana opened the discussion with a concerning piece of information.

My body flinched as I tried to move, causing a small groan to escape me. "It hurts to move" I conveyed, trying to move as little as possible. "Even with your powers, it will still take a bit for your nerves to heal"

Katsuki gently rubbed my forearm, "What about the bruises?" His tone was irritated and negative as he referred to the blotches along my skin. The resident medical expert opened her mouth and gestured towards herself as an emphasis on my internal organs. "Those spots are from your capillaries and some arteries that had begun to burst. They should disappearing in a few minutes"

Silence befell us, to break the tension I opened my mouth. "Do we know who the Meta was and their potential capabilities?"

"Right, thank God you got us a fresh sample of our Meta when you came in. Y'see, the DNA and residue from our original victim had become contaminated. With the more recent sample, we were able to find our Meta in the National Citizen Database" Evan went on a long exposition, barely taking the time to breathe in between sentences.

Facing one of the screens within the decently sized lab, Evan sent a prompt for whatever was on his tablet over.

First was a picture, who I instantly recognised as the Meta I had just fought. The jawline and evenly spaced features were impossible to miss. "Meet Walter Lion, he had recently moved to Japan for his work in purifying the dense pollution of water in dense metropolitan areas"

Kana stepped forward, "I was also able to get an ID on his first victim. Her name was Nio Cho, a brilliant mind and after some solid hacking from Evan into the Sersi Labs database, we found the two used to work together. Along with Hiro Wei, the man you saved today" Evan added more to the screen, including a picture of four people.

Our Meta, his victim and most recent target. "Who is the last one?" Katsuki posed, pointing towards a rather confident individual. Her eyes matched the cunning expression she gave off.

"Tamari Kazuk" My mechanical genius of a friend answered. "She was recently promoted for a recent breakthrough in her research, as was everyone else in the photo"

"Except for our lovely Hydro-Kinetic Meta-Human!" Evan beamed, his eyes shooting sarcasm from the pupil. "You think they stole his research?"

"There has to be some reason why he's going all, Smiley Face Killer. We think Walter will go after one of the two remaining people in this photograph" Evan was quick to respond, referencing a string of murders that occurred back in the 90s in America.

"Another thing I figured out was how Lion might be controlling and becoming liquid substances" Kana opened her next statement.

Evan handed over his tablet willingly, allowing Kana to bring up a digital image of molecular scans. "From the water sample in your lungs and your blood sample, you can see the molecular bonds are flooded with dark matter but when you apply your connection to the Speedforce when you phase, his power's hold is mostly overwhelmed by the dark matter in your system" The screen simulated my powers quite literally shaking Lion's from my molecules.