Chapter 97: Distance

Dylan Xander's POV

I stirred the thick liquid in the bowl before me, my spoon scooped the white porridge and twisted the utensil in my hand, letting the sloppy food splash into the contents of the bowl. "Just eat, Speedy" Yume's voice cut in knocking my arm to the side with her elbow.

"Big Sis! That's not nice..." The shy sibling spoke up after swallowing a mouthful of food.

My mind was still swirling from the shock that I had been missing for two days, it didn't help that my Speed still wasn't back yet. The Speedforce was there but what little amount I had access to was currently preoccupied with healing the injuries I had sustained.

"Well, he's just staring at the food like a freak"

Yume had lead us to a shelter where the Homeless are able to get meals without much question, it was obvious she and her siblings were well-known by the peope who volunteered.

"Listen, I've got to get back home as soon as possible. I've got people relying on me there"

"Spoken like a Pro" Yume took a dig, downing another mouthful of the porridge with a disinterested side eye. Hideyoshi sat opposite to me, his eyes buzzing with restrained excitment that was growing more chaotic with every passing second. "How did you get your cool speed!" The boy lunged his torso over the table, getting in my face with a toothy grin, although one was missing at the front.

I leaned back, hiding my face when people began giving us peculiar glances and mutterings. "Hide... I think that's a personal question" Uta politely pulled their brother into the seat, allowing me to seat properly in the chair.

My eyes peered around, Yume had told me that we were in Sapporo...

A city that is at the top of Japan, without my Speed or Money, I'm not gonna be able to get back to Musutafu. It's would take days or longer if I left today.

As soon as we finished our meal, Yume stood up and pulled Hide with her. Uta sat still, quietly taking the time to stare, looking away when I noticed. "Uta..." Their gaze met mine, "That's your name, right?" Uta gave me a short nod, their green eyes were darker than their siblings, it reflected a reserved nature.

"How much did you see, when I was found in the alleyway?"

The question stirred some sense of thought, Uta averted their gaze before meeting mine again. "Not much, I heard a noise and saw...a flash"

"You found me?"

Uta nodded, their expression remained reserved which gave me the idea to grin. "Well, thank you. I owe you one" Uta's cheek flared up with red, embarrassed by the compliment. The moment was worth it as I witnessed a small, sneaky smile grace their pale face.

The two of us sat at the table for a few moments, comfortable due to the heating within the building protecting us from the chilly outdoors. "Hey, somebody turn that up!" My ears perked up when a voice pierced through the crowd. My eyes glanced around to see somebody pressing a button on a mounted Television.

"Reports of two Speedsters racing throughout Japan have been popping up in the last two days. We have no evidence of the involvement of the Vigilante; Pursuit or the Rival Speedster known as; Surgebolt. This havoc has the people of Japan wondering if this is a scuffle or an event that could dwarf the Camino Ward" The spokesperson recited the information flawlessly, their position was in front of the Police Station in Musutafu.

Kaminari is still being chased by that...Monster...

The Speedforce mentioned it was an enforcer...

Uta seemed to notice my sudden discomfort and cleared their throat. "I'm sure everyone you know is okay" They attempted to reassure me, I merely muttered back, "So do I, Kid" While my gaze didn't leave the screen.