Chapter 1: When Lightning Strikes

(18 Months Ago)

The music blasted into my eardrums, the frequency making my world seem vibrant. My foot tapped the beat of the song, the rhythm pushing me forth. "Dylan..." The sound fell on deaf ears, I was in the zone. "Dylan..." The word was more defined. But I didn't respond.  Then one of my earphones was playfully flicked out of my ear. I jolt at the sudden lack of music in my ears. "Jesus... You're gonna go deaf with the music that loud" My father chuckled, his eyes still focused on the road. 

I huffed in amusement, my smirk still plastered on my face. "So, are you excited? Today is the day and as promised, you get to see what we've been working on" 

A bubbly of excitement raced through me. My hands were jittering in the rush. I am a lover of science. We moved to Japan only a few months ago, from America and Dad has been a great help at the lab. This is his 4th month in that workplace and his work on quantum tunneling and dark matter have expanded our understanding of the universe. 

Dad eventually pulled into the car park of the lab and we got out of the car. "You ready?" He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, "Time to change the world" He said with excitement. We wandered into the building, avoiding the massive crowd that had built up in front of the building. 

This event is very important in history, we could potentially find out so much more about our universe or even beyond our universe. 

Our walk through the building was quick, the clean white quartz walls covered most of the building that was outside the initial lab. Our footsteps could be heard as we walked, echoing on the marble floor. Our journey through the building eventually reached the labs, where the cortex of the building resides. 

"Hello! We're here!" My Dad announced our presence to his colleagues that we had arrived. "Henry! How are you!" I saw Kana run towards us, she pulled my Dad in for a friendly hug, then she quickly gave me one. "We're good. I needed to drag the kid out of bed, but we made it" My Dad is such an optimist. 

"Xander! Glad you could make it" I turned to see one of many scientific heroes, this guy is probably one of the smartest people in the world, he is of Canadian Nationality and moved to Japan to create the Laboratory I was standing in. He created this lab to be a symbol, a monument. This place is called Haven Labs. The place where scientists are free to experiment. 

"Mr. Nagato, wouldn't miss this for the world" My Dad shook his boss's hand, all while I was nerding out, this man was my hero in the scientific world. "Ah... You also brought your son. Rien has been very excited to see you" 

"Why don't you two go to my lab and watch the accelerator and extraction?" My Dad asked me, which I nodded furiously. "Is that Henry?" We turned to see a man with a cheerful smile, his messy hair waving about. I looked at his freckled face and smile. "Hey, Hasashi, how you been? How is your son?" 

Hasashi is the cheerful type, he is a man that radiates his own innocence but still keeps himself spoken for. When he's stressed or irritated he usually releases smoke from his nose and mouth. His quirk has something to do with fire. "Oh... Well, I'm good and work has allowed me to send money to my wife" 

"That's good, uh... Dylan. Why don't you go to my lab, Rien will me you there"

I nodded, a smirk on my features. "Okay... Wouldn't want to rain on your nerd parade" I joked, "Coming from the resident nerd" I turned to see Rien, her pearly grin was in a state of sarcasm. "You wound me..." I dramatically gasped. 

We walked towards the lab, she hugged me quickly. "It feels like it's been forever" She mumbled into my shoulder, "Yeah... Good to see you too" I replied, hugging tightly, my face getting stuffed inti her auburn hair.