Chapter 18: Significant Difference

I flashed through the streets of the city, my body rapidly progressing down through the lively city. "Got anymore leads for me?" I asked Kana through the comms.

"No... Those Metas don't have anything on them. Like they don't exist" Kana said in frustration. "Dude... We should call it a night. You've been running for three hours" Evan warned.

I sighed, "Fine... But I'm not tired. I'll be at the lab in the Precinct" I said casually as I passed 900km/h. My body raced to the Precinct in record time, "Goodnight guys" I said before going offline.

Once I was at the Precinct, I was already in formal casual clothes, walking into the lab. "Xander? What are you doing here so late?" The receptionist cop asked. I smiled, "With my Uncle in the hospital and my roommate at an internship, I have nothing to do. Just thought I would catch up on some work"

She smiled with respect, "You're a hard worker, Xander. Never change" I nodded with a smile as I stepped into the elevator.

I wandered out of the contraption and into the main office. Sighing, I started walking upstairs towards the lab. The director of Forensics is on vacation with his wife.

The night was filled with chemical analysis, fingerprint analysis, filing, case reports, and evidence reports. I sat at the desk and used my speed to quickly write on report after report.

I barely noticed the time start to fly...

And the sound of heavy rain and distant thunder. As I wrote the evidence down for a murder case there was a flash of lightning from outside. I looked outside to see the frequent flashes in the clouds and the heavy droplets of water hit the glass pane.

I turned my body back to the report, my arm hitting my mug of coffee over the edge of the desk. Everything slowed as I caught the beverage, taking a sip and placing the mug on the surface.

"Xander!" I looked at the door of the lab to see a cop, he had a cat head and a bell around where his the should be. It was kind of adorable. "Hey, Officer Tamakawa" I placed the pen down and turned to face him. "What's up?"

"Tsukauchi said he could drive you home because it's late and your Uncle is in the hospital" I looked at the professional officer. "Um... I think I'll be okay. I can catch a cab. I need to finish these reports and then I'm going home"

I took a quick glance at the time, it was 11:37pm. "Okay... I shall relay that info. Have a good night, Xander" he bowed respectively. I grinned and gestured to him, "You too, Tamakawa. Have a lovely night" he nodded before walking out and I continued to report.

After half an hour of work I finally sighed and leaned back into the swivel chair, rubbing my face. I looked at the clock, "It's Midnight..."

I pulled myself from the chair to stretch my legs. Walking to the window that still had water heavily hitting against the surface. My eyes glanced over the equipment but as a flash of lightning in the sky flared, I blinked.

As I opened my eyes, I saw something. All the colour from my face disappeared and my eyes narrowed on the figure thay stood on the rooftop of a building across the street.

It was him...

The Speedster...

I saw him tilt his head to the side as some playful action, sending chills down my spine. Then a streak of white lightning raced down the building and into the city.

Without a moment of hesitation, I raced out of the Precinct with my Speed and into the streets with my jacket on.

I ran down the street, chasing the man in platinum with white lightning. Street after street was covered, we ran past cars, people. Electrical items all seemed to blow from our raw energy output.