Sunsets

"Sunsets are the sun's way of saying see you later

"Sunsets are the sun's way of saying see you later."

I woke up around 6 pm. I hadn't realized I had fallen asleep at my desk, drawing until I felt a piece of paper stuck to the side of my head. I ripped the piece of paper off my face and stood up from my chair to realize that the sun had now begun to set.

I moved to open up my balcony to find the girl from the beach still sitting on that baby pink blanket of hers and still reading that same book.  My thoughts are telling me to go down there and say something to her. Maybe get to know her name? Or why does she like the ocean so much?

I signed at my thought process. This isn't the first time I've seen her down by the beach. She's there all the time. I've always had this nagging feeling to at least go say hi, but I just never felt like it. Might as well try today.

I walked downstairs and let out a breath when I notices my friends weren't in the kitchen. I snuck out the back door and down the stairs until my bare feet heat the warm feeling of sand beneath me. I saw her sitting just a few yards from me.

Her head is still in that book she's been reading. I walked over and sat next to her. She didn't even acknowledge I was there she was so into that book. I sat there looking out at the ocean, in silence.

Silence is a weird thing.

Sometimes it's confusing and scary. Not like I would be scared of it. But this silence is different. It's comfortable for once. I signed deeply, loving the feeling of silence. That's when she finally realized that someone was sitting next to her. "Oh my god! You scared me!" She said as she put a hand over her heart like she was about to pass out.

She smiled.  "Sorry about that. I just saw you sitting here from my balcony and thought you may like some company." I said flatly. She slowly nodded, putting her hand down, and getting more comfortable she turned back to her book. "Thanks, I suppose." She let out a slight laugh as she spoke. I have to admit her laugh was quite charming. I smiled but turned my head away so she couldn't see it. "So what book are you reading?" I asked.

I tried to get a peek at it earlier, but her book was so wide open I couldn't even read the sides. "Oh, it's called Normal people! Ever heard of it?" She asked as she looked down at the book that was folded over, her fingers the only thing making sure she wasn't about to lose her page.  "Nope never heard of it. I'll put it on my list though." I said.

She gave me a small nod with an even smaller smile tugging at the corners of her pink, lips. "So you like to read as well?" She asked. "Yeah, it's not very common, but I like reading to escape reality," I said still facing the ocean. "Yeah, I do the same as well." She said. "Maybe sometime we could read together?" I asked. "I'd like that." Out of the corner of my eye, I could see her smile. "The sunsets are pretty," I spoke up making her raise her head to look at the setting sun once more. She nodded and said, "yeah it is." I glanced over at her to see she was facing the setting sun.