Love is in the air

"Okay Ally, don't be nervous. You've known Mason for how long? It will work, it will work, it will work."

Alyson stood in front of her mirror and looked at herself nervously. Her date dress was short and covered in green sequins. Her black hair curled naturally and fell down her back.

There was a knock and her mother, Synthia, came into the room. "Well, excited?"

"Totally," Alyson murmured.

Synthia put a necklace around her neck, a silver pendant in the shape of a diamond. "Just be yourself. You are wonderful. Just never forget that."

Alyson hugged her: "Thanks mom. You are the best. And the pendant is really pretty."

"Remember what I used to say?" her mother asked.

Alyson nodded. "You said I'm as beautiful, pure and strong as a diamond and you have no doubt it will stay that way."

"Remember that," Synthia said, and now Alyson noticed that her mother seemed nervous.

"Is something?" she asked.

Synthia shook her head. "I'm just excited about your first date. I remember my own first date like it was yesterday."

"Will you tell me about it?" Alyson asked, smiling.

Synthia nodded. "It was at the annual ball honoring the Polaris royal family. Actually, it wasn't a real date. I went to the ball alone because neither my brothers nor my parents were interested. And suddenly he was standing in front of me. A real muscular man with black hair and dark, passionate eyes. He asked sheepishly if I wanted to dance. He couldn't just leave such a pretty young woman like me. And because I was so intrigued by him, I agreed. We danced and talked all evening. He was a Red Fountain specialist and had only accompanied a friend. The next day he left again. But half a year later he came back to Polaris as a soldier because we couldn't get ourselves out of our heads, and another year later we got engaged."

"I knew it was going to be Dad," Alyson replied, giggling.

It rang.

"Sometimes first love is real," Synthia said. "You've waited so long for your prince. Enjoy the evening."

Alyson nodded and went downstairs to the front door. Her father already opened and was eyeing poor Mason suspiciously.

When he saw Alyson he said sternly, "You'll be back at eleven." He turned to Mason. "If you make her cry-"

"Honey?" came the lovely voice of Synthia. "Twelve is fine too. And now let them both have their fun."

Alyson secretly thanked her mother and left the house with Mason, who, after losing sight of the house, took Alyson's hand in his.

Phil huffed meanwhile. "I don't trust him. He is a young count and Almut-"

"He's not Almut," Synthia said, leading Phil into the living room on the couch. "Almut doesn't like us, but her two children are completely different. Trisha and Mason are good hearted people and we couldn't ask for better for Alyson."

"I just want to protect her," Phil replied.

His wife leaned against him. "I know, but where you want to protect her, you don't have to, and where you have to, you can't."

Phil sighed and after a while he said: "We'll probably tell the girls about their fate next week. Pierre, Mela and Killian prepare everything with Iris. She must be on Polaris right now."