13 𝘥.𝘩.

*̥˚ communication *̥˚
fluff

      your arms fold under your head, your chin resting upon them. you look around, sighing as the library was enduring one of its quieter days. while waiting, someone walks up to the desk, holding a large pile of books. when you look over at the boy, you notice it's dustin, a friend of your brother. with a pen and paper in hand, you write down his name with a little question mark. as you hand it over, he notices it's you. quickly his mouth turns into a smile, he then quickly sets down the books and waves. 

     immediately, he signs 'how are you' in american sign language (asl). your eyes widen in surprise as you sign 'good', immediately followed with 'you know sign language?' he nods, holding up another book, a book about sign language and common sayings within the saying. 'i wanted to communicate with you!' he smiles, his signing slightly slow, but his attitude in the right place. you sign a quick thank you and then pull out a sign out sheet for dustin to write on and put all of his books on.  

    as he writes down all of his books, you couldn't help but smile to yourself. someone other than your family took time out of their day to learn a whole other language just for you. when he sets down the pen and paper, he signs something to you, 'can i ask you a question?' you then nod, making sure to sign a quick yes. 'will you go out on a date with me?' dustin ponders, a small pause occurs as you register his signs and facial expressions.

    'yes!' the pure excitement causes you to also groggily say it as well, despite you not being able to hear it much. 'saturday? meet me at the movie theater? they have closed captioning on one of the movies playing' he signs, taking a moment to remember the sign for movie. you show the movement for movie, helping him continue with his sentences. you nod, 'ill meet you there. thanks dustin'. 

- just realized ive never written a deaf character in here!!