Prologue

“Parfait!” mom exclaimed tainting her British tongue with the French accent.

It took everything in me to stop myself from rolling my eyes.

“Have you got a school for her?” mom asked Shawn.

“Yes. I'm sure she's going to love this one” he replied.

“That's what you said the last one hundred and one times” I muttered. “Besides who starts going to a new school in the middle of a session”

Mom glared at me but said nothing.
“What is the name of this school?” she asked.

“Graham High” he replied simply, “Someone recommended it and said it's a very nice place. We will go to check it out sometime later to see if you would like it”

I gave him a blank stare.

“Whether she likes it or not, she's going there” mom said with finality.

“Look Primrose_”

“Rhys” I corrected, “The name is Rhys and not that”

I hate my first name yet he prefers calling me by that name.

“Watch your tone young lady. You better learn to speak to your father” she chided.

“He is not my f_” I tried to protest.

“Don't tempt me, missy” she deadpanned.

I huffed and remained mute.

“Much better, Primrose” she lifted a brow challengingly.

I narrowed my eyes at her but kept my mouth shut.

Mom and I are not the best of friends but we have our moments though. I'm sure it's the same with every mother and daughter pair. Maybe not. Her relationship with my little sister is perfect. It was same between us until puberty and many other things came in between.

A maid walked in and started serving pasta into all our plates. When she was done I picked up my fork to dive into my plate of stewed worms. I know it's gross, I'm eating that plate of food nonetheless.

I turned my attention to my plate and was about to eat.

“Prayers Primrose” mom reminded.

Why must she use that name?
I clenched my jaws in annoyance and noisily dropped my cutlery without uttering a word.
I won't let her have me where she wants.

“GG why don't you say the prayers on our behalf” Shawn said to his daughter who had been quiet all along and almost left unnoticed.

Ginger is her name, how she got the name GG is a story for another time. She just turned five. She's really sweet and I love her. She has always been a ball of energy, she's always running around the house but she has been freakishly quiet since we moved to Nigeria. That bothers me a lot but there is little or nothing I can do.

She worriedly looked at me and back at her father before nodding her head.

“That's my girl” he praised.

“Primrose would have been a better name for you” mom said.

GG's eyes almost popped out of their sockets and she choked on her own spit, “P_Pimwose?” she questioned.

Her speech is not yet clear. Her baby tongue still rolls over words.

In spite of my mood, I bit my lower lip to stop myself from laughing at the look on her face. It was priceless.
Come to think of it, is the name which I wish to not mention that bad?

“Yes, you like it don't you?” mom asked sweetly.

She gulped but said nothing.

“I'm sorry to end this little family drama series but the pasta ain't gonna eat itself” I cut in.

Hey guys,
I hope you enjoyed this short piece.
Thank you for selecting my book.