CHAPTER FOUR

Dedicated to cassyanders2000

I served dinner for everyone and returned to my seat

I served dinner for everyone and returned to my seat. After the prayers mom turned to me with a huge smile on her face.

What does she want now?

"How was your first day of school?" she asked.

"Fine" I said simply.

Her face fell, "That's it? Just fine?"

"Yes, that's it"

I liked putting her in such spots. I always made it clear to her that we didn't have a good relationship, so in front of her I was all grumpy.
Don't judge me.
She ruined our relationship.
We have our moments, yeah but this wasn't one of those moments.

Mom and Shawn exchanged worried looks.

I kinda felt bad for being so harsh so I decided to speak up, "Everyone there is nice. I also met Justin"

Both their eyes glistened with hope.

"I'm glad to hear that"

Was I really that bad?
How can just a vague statement have that much effect?
I sighed and focused on the food in front of me.

"How was your first day of school, Hun?" mom asked GG.

"I made a new fwend. Her name is Pepper" GG said happily.

Pepper?
Ginger and Pepper. Nice.
Who's going to be her next friend? Cinnamon?
Maybe.

She suddenly started giggling. "Gotcha!" she pointed at our parents' bemused expressions. "Her name is Sophie" she excitedly announced.

At least one of us had a good day.

____________________________________
7:50 AM
TUESDAY
I stepped out of the car and walked in through the school gates. I met Abel at the entrance of the block where our classroom was. He had a worried look on his face.

"Good Morning, Abel"

"Good Morning, Rhys"

"What is it?" I lifted a brow at him.

"Nothing" he shrugged and we both walked into the building.

I noticed a lot of people staring at me, more correctly, glaring at me. They were whispering amongst themselves while looking at me.

"Who does she think she is?" a girl with low haircut and gold hair dye said loud enough for me to hear.

"I don't like her one bit" her friend with long cornrows said.

"I wonder who gave her the guts to talk to Blaise the way she did. She doesn't realize how much of a privilege it is for him to speak to her" another one with black and ash braids said.