30. Strong Girls Don't Cry

My phone buzzed beside me waking me up from my light slumber. It had been 24 hours since I locked myself in my room.

I looked at the screen and it was an unknown number that ended with 4465.
On True Caller it showed the ID, Elijah Kings.
The number had called and texted me so many times that I already knew it offhand.

I dragged myself from my bed and showered and then threw on blue shorts and a huge black hoodie.
I put on a pair of slippers and grabbed my phone and some cash.
I packed my hair up in a ponytail and then applied lip balm, perfume and I strolled out of my room.
I was going downstairs to have lunch and go out.

When I got there mom and Shawn were already in the kitchen eating at the island.

I reluctantly mumbled a greeting and looked for what to eat.

"Finally out of your room" mom said but I did not say anything back.
"You do realize that this is going to affect your college application right?"

I reached into the cabinet above my head and carried bread to toast.

"Young lady don't you even dare give me that attitude! Do you realize how disappointed I am? Of all things to do, why would you get into a fight with a senior?!"

"Honey, you need to calm down and approach this differently" Shawn said softly.

"Differently? Am I supposed to hug her and be proud of her for this?"

"We talked about this"

"She hit me first" I said quickly to cut off any argument that was starting to brew.

"Did you not have teachers to report to?"

"I was fed up with all her bullsh&t. Have you even cared enough to ask me what the f$ck happened?"

"Language, PrimRose!" mom yelled. "How could you be so reckless? There are other things you could have done but fighting!"

I hissed in frustration, "It is just suspension, it's not the end of the world"

"Say that again and see what I'll do to you!" she threatened, her voice loud enough to blow up my eardrum. She was visibly shaking with anger.

I stared at her in shock. She was threatening to hit me. This has never happened before. My vision was blurred with tears but I defiantly stared at her.

The kitchen was dead silent.
The kind of silence that could make one go deaf.

She still had her eyes dead set on me. "Get out of my sight!" she snapped after a few seconds.

The tears finally dropped down to my cheeks at her words. I stumped out of the house without saying anything.
Just as I shut the front door, I saw Jake standing at the porch dressed in his school uniform.

His forehead creased with concern. "Are you alright? Of course no you're obviously not" he palmed his face. "What's wrong?"

"Don't worry about me. Please let's leave this place" I sighed and wiped my tears with my hands.

"Here. Use this" he passed me a baby blue handkerchief with neat ironing lines.

"Thank you" I gratefully collected it and wiped my face. "Please let's leave this place"

"Okay" he said and pulled out his phone. "Will you prefer bus or taxi?"

"Taxi, please"

He nodded his head and carried on tapping away on his phone.

"Where are we going again?" I asked.

"Kees Delight"

"Kees Delight? Where is that?"