20. Meeting Another Davidson

The doorbell to the Kings house echoed within while I impatiently waited outside for someone to attend to me.
I came to get GG and I was already tired. Today was hell and I was tired of it. I just wanted to go home and lie down.

The door opened and Regina came into view. Her tie was a little loose, her shirt tucked out of her skirt and her feet bare. She still looked smart and proper, no wrinkles on her dress and her powder and shiny lipgloss still intact.
She looked at me in surprise and glared at me, “What are you doing here?”

“I came to get my sister” I said tiredly.

She placed one hand on her waist and stared intimidatingly, “What’s her name?”

“Ginger”

She scoffed, “Ginger? Is that even a name or you're just making it up?”

“Regina, I really don't have the strength for this, can I see Mrs. Kings? Or even Sophie. I'ld rather talk to a six year old than talk to you”

She was going to retort when someone appeared beside her, “Rhys, I didn't know it was y_”

“I’m here to pick my sister up” I cut him off completely ignoring the fact that he was trying to be nice.

He sighed and looked at me apologetically.
“Look, about earlier today I'm _”

“Are they home or not?”

He bit his lip and momentarily closed his eyes, “I totally deserve that” he muttered to himself but I heard him anyway. “Mom went to get a few things so she left with the girls. They should be back anytime soon”

Great.
I felt like banging my head on the closest wall.

“You can wait inside” he offered.

“I’ll wait in the car” I replied curtly and was already taking my leave when a white Mercedes drove in through the gate.

Mrs. Kings stepped out from the driver's seat and opened the door for the girls.

“Wees!” GG jumped up and down and ran towards me.

I couldn't help but smile. My bright sunshine on a rainy day, that's who GG is to me.
I lowered myself to her height and she slammed into my waiting arms with force. It's a miracle that we didn't end up on the floor.

“How was your day?” I asked her.

“Perfect!”

“How so” I chuckled.

“Come on Sophie” she turned to Sophie and urged her to come to us.

I smiled brightly at the shy little girl standing beside her mom who was trying to get something from the car.
She walked up to us and I embraced her with one hand while the other was still wrapped around GG.
I peppered them with kisses on their faces and they were both laughing.

Mrs Kings approached us with a smile on her face.

“Good afternoon ma. Thank you so much for helping me look after GG” I said standing up to my full height.

“Don’t mention” she pulled me into a warm hug. “How are you faring at home without your parents around?” she asked concern written all over her face.

“We are doing just fine” I said smiling at the two girls who were running inside completely ignoring Elijah and Regina who seemed to be arguing, in whispers, I think. I'm not sure what exactly is going on and I don't really care.

“My home is always open to you girls, you know that right?” she said seriously.

“I know”

“Come in and have something before you leave. I know you started tests today and you must have had a long day” she said and turned to leave but then stopped herself and held my hand “I’m not taking no for an answer this time around”
Gently, she pulled me into the house.
I didn't plan to leave anyway. I needed answers.