08. The Emperor's Speech

Friday7:40AM

Friday
7:40AM

I stood in front of the building where my classroom was. A huge frown was on my face, my arms were folded and my backpack was still hanging on my shoulders. I tapped my foot impatiently. My eyes were glued to the school gates.

Finally I saw the face I wanted to see.

I'd been standing here since I got to school and realized the seat on my left was empty. I didn't bother dropping my backpack, I just headed straight here.

Abel walked up to me with a nervous smile, “Am I in trouble?”

“Where have you been? You didn't even bother to take or return my calls or at least reply my messages”

He smiled genuinely, “Thanks for your concern. And I'm sorry for making you worry so much. How did you know I was coming to school today?”

I shrugged, “I just hoped you would. So why did you ditch school for two days?”

“I was sick” he said casually.

His lie would have sounded smooth if his upper lip didn't twitch suspiciously.
I'll take note of that involuntary actions for future purposes.

I eyed his full length, “You don't look sick to me”

“That's because I'm fine right now”

I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Let's go inside already” he pulled me inside. “So tell me about the last two days. What did I miss?”

“You won't believe it. Regina, Jewel and Lucy offered to be friends with me”

His eyes widened slightly, “That's unexpected”

“I know right? Should I be worried?”

“I really think so. Just be careful”

We both started climbing the stairs.

“I didn't get to know what club you joined”

“Haven't decided yet. I don't even know what I want”

“I understand that feeling”

“I don't know if it's just me but sometimes I feel so left behind when it looks like everyone around me know what they want but I don't know what I want. I don't even know why I chose to be in Arts class”

“I get you. I remember one time in JSS3 or so, our English teacher asked us to write an essay on the career path we wanted to follow and present it before the class. So I wrote about Neurology.

“I remember talking about how prestigious the profession was and all. Less than a year later, here I am in Art class, unsure of what I want to read in the university”