33. Better off as Enemies

Dedicated to natashapercy17

MONDAY
07:25 AM

Shawn's car pulled to a halt in front of the gates.
“Remember what we talked about”

“I remember. Thank you”

“Have a nice day, kiddo”

“You too. But I'm not a kiddo” I corrected.

He looked at me in amusement. “Of course”

“Ahem!” Justin coughed in the back seat.

I rolled my eyes and dashed out of the car to the school gates so that he wouldn't catch up with me.

“Good luck!” I heard Shawn say to him.

I barely heard Justin's reply.

So close. I was almost at the gate when I heard Justin's footsteps approaching.
“Rhys wait!”

I ignored him and increased my speed walk.
He caught hold of my backpack and I was halted mid step.

“What?!” I snapped at him. “I don't have the strength and energy to deal with your nonsense right now”

“Are you really that mad at me?” he looked hurt but I did not care.

“Yes, Justin! I am! Where were you this past week? What did I do that made you so mad at me? You even refused to listen to Elijah when he tried to warn you! Where were you when I needed the protective big brother you've always been?!” I yelled at him.
My breathing was heavy as I glared at him.

He was speechless. His mouth opened and closed a number of times but he offered me no words.

“Of course. That's what I thought” I turned around and left him there.
I almost bumped into Elijah who looked at me in surprise. I ignored him and walked through the gates.
I was not in the mood to deal with any of these two.
Thankfully, none of them came after me.

“Rhys!”

Maybe I said that too soon.

“Rhys!”

“What?” I barked and bit back my tongue when I saw it was Segun. “I’m sorry, I'm just having a rough morning”

“No problem” he shrugged and stood beside me.

I ignored whoever was calling me and climbed the steps.

Segun looked behind me and looked at me, “Are you dating senior Justin? Are you two having a fight?”

“Justin is my cousin” I told him.

“Oh. I didn’t know that” he said a little surprised. “Everyone keeps making assumptions. What is wrong? You don't look alright” he asked in concern.

I forced a smile at him. “Don’t worry about me”

“Do you want to ditch school or something?”

I looked at him in amusement. “Are you crazy? I'm just returning to school after being suspended, Segun. Do you want me to get into more trouble?”

He shrugged, “I was just trying to find ways to make you feel better”

“How thoughtful of you. Thank you” I smiled genuinely this time but it was a tiny smile.

“Is it about Blaise or Brenda? Or Regina? Are you weary of them?”

“I am not. They are the least of my problems”

“Oh. Well, that's great. Don't let them push you around”