36. Rhys and Abel

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as Shawn drove me to school.

He sighed and glanced at me, "Is there a problem?"

I hesitated saying what was on my mind. At this rate it felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders and I had to thread my path carefully.
"No"

He shook his head and continued driving in silence. From the look on his face he also had a lot on his mind and Mr Segun was on his mind too.

"Why does mom have doubts about my father?" I asked tentatively.

"It is a story too gore for your young ears"

I rolled my eyes, "I'm not a child"

"But you are not an adult either" he pointed out amusedly.

"Come on!" I complained. "But I want to know"

"Don't stress it. Just enjoy being a teenager and let the adults handle this" he told me seriously and halted the car.

I looked around to realize he was already in front of my school.

"Everything will be fine, PrimRose" he said softly.

For the first time I didn't feel the need to correct him. For the first time the name didn't sound bad after all.

"You think so?"

He nodded with a tight smile. "I will make sure of that. Pinky promise" he lifted his pinky finger for a swear.

I scowled at him but locked my finger with his. "This is a GG thing, not Rhys"

"I don't see the difference between the two of you anymore. I'm raising two little devils after all, so it's hard to tell one from the other" he smirked at me.

"I thought you were on my side!"

"I am and will always be" he laughed. "Have a wonderful day at school"

"You too" I said and stepped out of the car.
I turned back around and sat down again. "One more thing Shawn"

He arched a brow at me to show he was paying attention.

"Thank you for everything. Thank you for being the father I've always wanted and hoped for" I told him honestly.
But man I was shy.

He smiled at me and I dashed out of the car before he could say anything.

"Super cat speeeeed!" Abel announced and caught up with me at the gates.

"PJ masks? Seriously?" I laughed.

"You were so fast I had to channel my super power" he shrugged. "Please don't tell anyone you have found one of the PJ Masks" he whispered into my ears as we walked into the school premises.

I cackled. "Your secret is safe"

"Why did you bolt out of the car like that though?" he glanced behind us.

"Is he still there?" I asked.

"Who?" he looked at me in confusion.

"Shawn"

"Who is this Shawn?"

"My_" my what exactly? Dad or step dad? "My dad"

"Is that how you white kids call you parents? By their first names?"

"Silly. I am Nigerian. See our skin colour?" I placed the back of my palm beside his. " And Shawn is my step dad"
I muttered the last part.

"Oh. I didn't know" he said.

"How would you? I don't really talk about it" I said quietly. "Shawn is a great guy though, I'm just glad it's him and not someone else" I added.

"That is sweet. So why were you running like that? I was starting to think you were running from a decimating bomb"