35. Another Encounter with Mr. Davidson

Rhys’ POV

“I’m soo rooting for team Elijah” Gold said excitedly as we took our seats on the bleachers.

I scanned the team wearing blue football jersey. The only two people I knew by name were Justin and Elijah.
“Team yellow is my team”

“You don't even know anyone from that team. You've never even watched them play before” she stated.

“Why does it matter? I see something in them” I shrugged nonchalantly.

She scoffed, “Something that is neither Elijah nor Justin”

I gave her the brightest smile I could afford, “Yes! You totally get me!”

“Can you two shut up already?” Abel snapped at us.

“As grumpy as Elijah” Gold grumbled childishly and took a bite of her chocolate and moaned at the yummy goodness.
Her exact words not mine.

Abel narrowed his eyes at her. “I am not grumpy”

“Can you kids shut up already?” Jake nagged.

“Kids?” Gold gasped dramatically.

A took a bite of my wafer and ignored their banter. My eyes were focused on the soccer game in front of me.
The two teams were very good teams. They matched each other's strength, speed and skill.
But there was a loophole though. One team did not have a good team spirit.

GOAL!!!!!!!
The field vibrated with cheers!

“Told you” I grinned cheekily at Gold.

She sulked and ignored me.

“The goal was an obvious mistake” Jake said.

“A goal is a goal” Abel shrugged.

“Ha! Couldn't agree more” I high-fived Abel.

“Get lost” Gold muttered.

“Team Blue will win anyway” Jake said seriously.

“Not a chance” Abel disagreed.

“You are saying that because you're teaming up with Rhys to be mad at Justin and Elijah” Jake said.

“What do you know?” Abel jabbed.

“Absolutely nothing” I replied for Jake.

The two of us burst into laughter and high-fived each other again.

“Fools!” Jake cussed. “I still think team blue will win”

“Rhys, the principal asked me to fetch you” a guy from Science class told me.

I was a little surprised.
I just stood up and followed him.
“See you guys shortly”

Since the sports fields were behind the three storey buildings, we walked straight towards the Administrative block.

There were tones of students and we managed to squeeze through.
He stopped just before the building and left me to myself.

I was a little anxious, wondering if this had any thing to do with my suspension.

I wiped my sweaty palms on my skirt as I marched to his office.

“Good morning, Miss Ebele. Good morning, Miss Cheyenne” I greeted the secretary, who was sitting at her desk and the school's guardian counselor who stood in front of the secretary's desk sorting out some documents in a file.
They both turned to me.

“Morning” Miss Ebele replied with a nod while the other lady simply nodded and returned to her work.

“I’m here to see the principal, he sent for me” I told her.

“You can walk right in” she told me.

I nodded and thanked her.
I walked to the door and walked in when I was asked to.

“Good morning s_” my words got stuck in my mouth when I saw who was sitting in front of the principal's desk.
I gulped in some air and greeted the principal, purposely leaving out the person with him.

“How are you, PrimRose?” he smiled at me.

“Mr. Segun, the name is Rhys and not that. Did you even ask my mom for permission before coming to see me?”

“Do I need permission to see even my own daughter?” he looked slightly taken aback.

“In case you are not aware, I know my father and it's definitely not you” I told him straight to his face.

He stared at me for a while without speaking.

“I will excuse you two” the principal, Mr Bakare said and left us.

I was shocked beyond words. I couldn't believe what he had just done. A random stranger could just walk in claiming to be a relative of his student and he could just walk away leaving the two of them alone.
I was not even sure of Mr. Segun’s intentions.

“We both know that I'm your father and nothing can change that. Whether your mother got married in the end does not change the fact that my blood runs through you” he said calmly.

I stared at him blankly. I was short of words. Nothing on earth had prepared me for this encounter.

“What did your mother tell you that makes you hate me so much?”

“What do you want?” I asked curtly.

“Time”

“What is that even supposed to mean? You have a family of your own don't you? You should pay more attention to them than a daughter you never wanted to start with!”

“I just need a chance to be a better father to you”

“You evaded my question. You have a family, don't you?”

“I did” he said bitterly.

I felt my heart drop to my stomach.
“What do you mean by you did?”

“It’s a long sad story” he said vaguely. “You suddenly look pale, are you alright?” he took steps towards me and I evaded his hand that reached for my forehead. “I’m sorry” he apologized. “I understand you need time”

“Are you done? I want to go back to my friends” I asked coldly.

He sighed heavily. “I will see you some other time then”

“No. I don't want to see you ever again, Mr. Segun” I said through gritted teeth.

“I just want to let you know that you are doing a good job at hurting your father's feelings”

His words made me feel terrible. I felt myself recoil.
I said nothing as I walked out.