Chapter 2: Wrath of the Pharaoh

A/N Special thanks to all those awesome people who voted, commented and added this story to their reading list. You guys make my day. BTW I need an actor for Kahmunrah and please don't tell me to use the actor from NATM because I'm doing something different with this story.
Thx😊

-----------------------

Merenkahre's jewelled fist struck the arm of the golden throne.

"Have I taught you nothing?!" He thundered furiously.

"We really are sorry father" repeated Ahkmenrah for what must have been the twentieth time in the last minute.

The Pharaoh was the grandson of Pharaoh Sneferu. Merenkahre was strong robust man. Like his son he was very pale compared to most Egyptians. He wore a lavish cloak woven from red and gold. Upon his shaved head he wore the golden crown of the united upper and lower Egypt. His brown eyes filled with anger and dissapointment, an expression the brother unfortunately could say they knew too well. Shepseheret came from behind the throne her beautiful angular face masked with anxiety.

"They've made a mistake Merenkahre. They won't do it again." She said soothingly.

"They promised last time as well Shepseheret and look at what they have done. They almost destroyed a pyramid we are so lucky that no one got in harm's way" then he looked at his sons disapprovingly.

"They should be punished," said the high priest, royal advisor and uncle of the king, Khufu "Especially the young one, no doubt it was his-"

"Get out!" snapped the Pharaoh gesturing to his wife and uncle.

At the order of the Pharaoh Shepseheret and Khufu left the room. Ahkmenrah bowed his head ready for the wrath of his father. Before Merenkahre could speak Kahmunrah stepped forward, his head bowed. 

Not now, you self-sacrificing bastard. Willed Ahkmenrah. Though Kahmunrah often took the blame for Ahkmenrah, it was never in front of their father. 

"But father it was my fault" said Kahmunrah. Merenkahre regarded him, startled. 

"I goaded him on." continued the Prince. "I teased him about his horsemanship and I proposed a race."

Merenkahre closed his eyes as if wanting to shut out the world. He opened them and focused his eyes directly on Kahmunrah.

"Kahmunrah you are the eldest. You... I am very disappointed."

Kahmunrah's heart fell at these words. Tears stung his eyes.

The Pharaoh closed his eyes once again relieving the room of their presence. His eyes opened once more. Addressing nobody in particular he muttered. "One weak link can bring down the chain of a mighty dynasty."

Tears now were starting to flow freely down Kahmunrah's cheeks as he heard those words. But before his brother and father could see them he stormed out of the room.

"He was lying father!" Burst out Ahkmenrah.

"I know," said Meenkahre in a monotone voice.

"It wasn't his fault he..." Ahkmenrah paused with the realisation of his father's words. "...You knew?"

"I know a great many things that you will not believe." announced Merenkahre rising from the throne and walking towards his youngest and grasped his shoulders firmly. "This is not punishment. I am training him to take my place once the sun sets on my time."

"Father I think we both know what you said to him is worse than any punishment."

"I know that is why I am rewarding him tonight at the banquet. He took responsibility for both of your actions. A Pharaoh must take the responsibility for the actions of his people. What I said to him will only make him more determined to be better." Merenkahre then smiled. "He would make a wonderful Pharaoh. Now about that Pyramid you practically ruined. What do you think of naming it the Bent Pyramid?"

Ahkmenrah's well known easy grin splayed across face and he said in a teasing tone.

"You know father for a Pharaoh your wrath is almost non-existent"

Merenkahre chuckled and said:

"Shut your mouth before the whole of Egypt finds out"