Chapter 88: The Throne

Khufu looked up at the door as it creaked open. In came a haggard unkempt Ahkmenrah followed closely behind by a weary Sabra. Khufu felt his heart seethe with a rage he didn't know he was capable of. He had hoped that somehow Ahkmenrah would follow his brother's demise. Ahkmenrah walked over to the few ministers who were present. He flashed them a bright grin.

"I am sorry..." he murmured. "I haven't been present."

Ahkmenrah barely acknowledged Khufu.

Bastard! Thought Khufu. I am practically running this country while you emptied half the wine cellar.

"I know that I have...I..." continued the King. "I have been mourning. I acknowledge that I have been irresponsible in my conduct and I am prepared to accept my mistakes."

"We understand." Answered an official, Ramose. "Kahmunrah was dear to all of us, but no doubt you would have been the most affected by his loss. The nation bears witness to your brotherhood."

Ahkmenrah nodded his head in acknowledgment.

"Will you forgive me?" He asked. Simply, plainly. Gods he looked so pathetic, so unkingly with his starting of a beard, slightly emaciated features and red eyes.

I wouldn't have asked for forgiveness if I were in his place. I didn't even mourn my own brother. I would give them no reason to beg for forgiveness. A king never begs.

"You highness" started Khufu. "There is nothing left to forgive. You are our King and we are merely your subjects."

"I was not your only King." Said Ahkmenrah, his eyes slid coolly to Khufu. For a moment the icy piercing look of Kahmunrah was alive within the young King's features. "The coronation parchments had been tampered with, by right and the will of my father, Isis bless him, Kahmunrah was also Pharaoh."

"Tampered!" Cried a fat incredulous official. "Who could have done it?"

"I have a few suspects." Said the Pharaoh his eyes moving away from Khufu. "But it is no matter now. I intend on implementing some of my brother's policies to honour him. No doubt you have learned of the birth of my nephew."

"The bas-"

"He is no bastard." Cut off Ahkmenrah. "He is my nephew and the son of a legal marriage. Besides even of he was not, I believe a King is able to keep consorts, and any first born son, whether born out of wedlock or not, will be the unconditional heir to the throne. His father was Pharaoh."

Khufu shifted. That pulled down his chances once again, now that Ahkmenrah had declared his nephew heir to the throne.

"Your majesty," started another official, his name being Meryre. "When will you like these policies to be implemented? And what exactly are they?"

Ahkmenrah seemed to ignore him as he made his way up to the throne. He stared at the gilded seat for a few seconds. His jaw tightened as he swallowed down what seemed to be a sob.

"What day is it?" He asked.

"It is the second day of the third month of the new year."

Nine months. That's how long his reign had lasted. And there were fifteen days until Kahmunrah's birthday. He would have been twenty years of age.

"In fifteen days, prepare for a feast." He ordered. "I will honour my brother through a Heb-Sed."

"Is it not too early for a Heb-Sed?" Suggested Khufu.

"I believe we have not had one of those in our dynasty Uncle," said Ahkmenrah with a grin. "None of my forefathers have survived to rule for thirty years. Besides, I feel like my powers need some revival."