Chapter 95: Just Like Old Times

The first time she drew a blanket over her sleeping children Shepseheret remembered the way her sons had been so entangled in each other that she couldn't tell their limbs apart. They had been very close, even as babies. Wherever Kahmunrah went, Ahkmenrah would follow swiftly. She didn't realise that this meant in death as well. Today was the last time she would ever shroud her son in a blanket. She looked at his peaceful features, he seemed almost asleep.

She draped the white cloth over him, watching as it sunk into the hollows of his eyes and cheek. She could still make out lips, smiling even now.

She didn't weep. She couldn't. Her son couldn't possibly be dead. She half expected him to stand up and cast the sheet away proclaiming it all to be an elaborate prank. But he didn't and that was the worst part.

—————

"The King is dead," announced the messenger.

Sabaf froze, his breath hitched in his throat. Ahkmenrah? He couldn't mean Ahkmenrah.

"Please leave us." He heard Nitocris say.

He felt a warm hand clasp his. He looked up at Nitocris to find comfort in her features. He couldn't even do that, the tears had blurred his vision.

"We must go to them." She announced. "They will need support."

He nodded in assent, his lips trembling as he tried to reply, as he tried to fight back his tears. Nitocris cupped his face in her hands and brought him closer to her pressing her forehead against against his.

"Weep." She whispered. "You are no weaker for it."

He melted into her and wept bitterly. He wept as he had done when he lost his sister.In the end Ahkmenrah had been his friend.

—————

He and Kahmunrah stood now in the river of fire and water.

"When Anubis comes for us, will I have to get my heart measured?" Asked Ahkmenrah. "I've forgotten the 42 confessions. Do you remember them?"

"Ahk we have been learning those since we learnt to speak." Chastised the older brother. "But you won't need them."

"Why not?" Ahkmenrah frowned. "Have they taught us lies."

Kahmunrah turned to him, his dark eyes solemn.

"Take my hand little brother."

Ahkmenrah thought this a rather strange request, but he acquiesced. When their palms touched warmth flooded through his body and on their hands perched a beautiful blue and red bird. He recognised the warmth. It was he golden feeling of the childhood when they had slept in the same bed. It was rush of happiness as his brother laugh at his joke. It was the pain the and heartbreak of their recent betrayasl. But most of all he felt a deep sense of love.

"Don't you see brother?" Said Kahmunrah. "You and I are one."

Kahmunrah let go and the bird disappeared. But the warmth remained.

"How long have you known?" Asked Ahkmenrah. "How did you get a funeral? How..." he paused the realisation hitting. "Am I only half a person?"

"Frankly Ahk I don't know," said Kahmunrah. "I was told of this when I arrived here. My body apparently wasn't meant to have been found."

"I'm glad it was."

"So am I." Kahmunrah studied his brother over one more time. "Ahk forgive me I..."

"You should have held on!" Cried Ahkmenrah. "You could have have lived! You just had to act the noble ass didn't you?!"

"I was too far gone, nothing could have saved me."

"But your heart was weighed and you passed." He grinned. "You have a good heart. Unless little Ammit is waiting to have both of us in her jaws at the same time."

"I had meant the poison was already killing me," added Kahmunrah. "Even I'm not fool enough to feel that guilty anymore."

"I hate you."

"Of course you do." Kahmunrah paused. "How is Ramses?"

"Could you not see him?"

"I could only see you," Kahmunrah didn't meet his eyes. "It was the price I paid to keep you alive for this long."

"What?"

"I'll tell you later. First, tell me of my son."

"He's certainly better looking than the both of us combined." Ahkmenrah to contain his anger. You self-sacrificing idiot of a brother. "The happiest babe I had ever seen. He has your smile."

Kahmunrah looked as if he was about to cry.

"And Sabra?"

"We were to be married the day I was killed." Said Ahkmenrah.

"It's about time."

"That I got killed?"

"That you two finally decided to acknowledge your feelings for each to get married you baboon." His smile fell. "And mother?"

"She never said it out loud, but she misses you deeply. She's loved Ramses. I think she sees you in him."

"And now she will see you in his features too."

There was silence. Finally Ahkmenrah spoke.

"I missed you." said Ahk. "I couldn't function, I'm sorry. I let you down in the days after you died. I..."

Before he could continue speaking he felt his brother envelop him in an embrace.

"For me, Ahk, there is never a sin too big to forgive," muttered Kahmunrah. "Not when it comes to you."

-----------

Y'all have suffered under my hands enough so I have rewarded you with this scene. A few more chapters to go.