Epilogue 3/3 - King of Kings

2006 AD

In the last fifty-three years, he never saw his brother. That was the worst part. In that time Ahkmenrah had only spend twenty years with his family at the British Museum. Then he moved and for twenty more years he had spent his time in Cambridge University. That was where he had learned English, the new tongue that was spoken all over the world. It was a strange derivative tongue, with complex unnecessary grammars. But he was grateful to know it, grateful that Jangbir and his three daughters had taught him.

The last thirteen years he died every night. That was exactly 4,745 deaths. It wasn't like usual nights where his body would return to his original state when the sun rose. No. He would beat the sarcophagus until his knuckles were bloody, hoping for a gasp air. Then he gave up and suffocated.

He died every night before the sun had even risen.

He had been moved from Cambridge to this detestable American Museum of Natural History in New York City, at least that's what Jangbir, the night guard of Cambridge University had told him.

He usually got to know the inhabitants of the museums he had spent his time in. He usually befriended them. Yet the ones here had somehow decided he was an evil entity. The kept him locked in his sarcophagus to die while they frolicked.

Today was no different.

He beat against his sarcophagus. He screamed. His throat was already raw but he screamed anyway. Someone, anyone must help him.

If Kahmunrah could see him he must be killing himself for letting this happen.

He didn't give up though, some one had to hear him. Someone must hear. He heard footsteps coming his way. A renewed sense of hope filled him, his fists banged the lid of the sarcophagi.

He heard a click. The lock was opened and he pushed off the lid of the sarcophagus and stood. He undid the linen bandages wrapped around his head. His first breath of fresh air...

He started coughing, the dust that had built up in his throat for the past thirteen years finally left him.

He turned to his saviours. An older man and a young boy.

"You would not believe how stuffy it is in there." He told them.

"How come you speak English?" Asked the older man.

"I went to Cambridge University."

"You went to Cambridge?"

"I was on display in the Egyptology Department."

Ahkmenrah turned, a chink of moonlight passed through the wall. Kahmunrah was here. He will always be here. He closed his eyes and remembered what his brother had told him those thousands of years ago.

The moon is always there. No matter where the light shines it doesn't change. In the same way Ahk even if I do die. I will be with you. Even when I don't seem to be there. Whether it is through my soul or the memory of the people I won't die. Not really. I'll be like the moon; I'll stay as long as you believe that I will. So whenever you feel alone, just remember that the moon will be here. And so will I.

Ahkmenrah turned back again to the child and the older man. With all the confidence he could muster he announced:

"I am Ahkmenrah, fourth king of the fourth king...ruler of the land of my fathers."

The last king should have been a plural, he realized that now. It was too late to change it, he had said it with too much conviction. 

And the rest is history (literally).

---------------

And we are done. It has honestly been quite a journey, four whole years for a hundred chapter story. I feel a sense of elation and sadness. Its become such an integral part of my life I don't know what I would do without it. I would like to thank all those who stuck with me so far. I know I have lost a lot of readers because of slow updates but for those of you who are left, I am glad you are here to share this moment with me.

People have asked whether I am going to do a sequel. While I would love to write Ahkmenrah's adventures with Nick and Larry, I feel like Night at the museum has already covered them. So I have a few options.

- I can write a prequel, so about Merenkahre and Shepsehret

- I can write a sequel about our beloved Ramses

- I can also open a short story book where I provide short stories about different characters from this book

I am also planning on changing the names of characters, rewriting and researching to publish this in the near future so keep an eye out for that.

Love you and miss you

- Sargun