Chapter 87: The Smile

It had been three days since he had awoken from his drunken slumber. Three days of broth forced down his mouth and officials visiting him and offering him their condolences. By now everyone knew the circumstances of their King's death but the fact remained Kahmunrah was dead. Yet he didn't feel as hollow as before. 

Sometimes he could swear when the moonlight shone a certain way he could see his dear brother smiling back, that brilliant smile that Ahkmenrah loved so well. Sometimes when he was almost asleep and the moonlight touched his hair it was almost like they were children again, sleeping side by side hands entwined in each other's dark curls.

Most of the time he thought he had gone mad. But does madness feel so real?

When the last of the officials had stood and left he lay back down on the mattress and relaxed his muscles. Perhaps it was time he wept, soberly that was. But he couldn't do it. He couldn't bring the tears up. A part of him whispered why do you sit still?

He was my brother. He would say back.

Indeed. The part would whisper back. If you loved him so much get up and smile. Rule your country. Build his legacy. Honour him. He wouldn't have wanted to see you like this.

But it isn't that simple. He reminded himself.

No it is not. The other part of him agreed.

And that was the end of the discussion.

The door opened to a somber Sabra, who promptly closed it behind her.

"How are you feeling?" She asked sitting beside him.

"If I see another bowl of broth I am officially banishing bowls of broth from this kingdom."

"You'll be able to eat properly very soon." She promised with a smile.

He felt the corner of his mouth twist slightly at that. A silence fell between the two of them. He felt like he needed to clear the air a little

"Thank you," he said finally. "For everything, I couldn't have...I wouldn't be alive...I..."

"You're my friend." She assured him. "You're like family now, I would do anything to keep you safe."

"About what I said about me being naked around you and saying I would prefer it to be in a more romantic context...I didn't mean...I mean I did...but it..."

"That's alright." She said, a little too emotionless for his liking. "You were under the influence of the drink and you...we had just lost Kahmun. I paid it no heed."

"You know it's strange I feel him sometimes. Around me, here." He paused "Do you think he is here with me? Even now in death?"

"I think he will be with you till end of time." Answered Sabra. "My father always said the dead have their own way of looking after the living. Even if there wasn't any way for him to do so, he would forge his own path just to be near you."

"You never talk about your parents." He remarked, changing the topic.

"There is a reason for that." She whispered. "They are dead as well as my little brother."

Once again it still struck him how little he knew about her.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"It is not your fault." She told him. "Besides, it happened a long time ago."

"What was he like?" Asked Ahkmenrah. "Your brother that is."

"His name was Gavriel, he was small chubby. His front tooth was missing. He had curly hair and brown eyes. He was stubborn, he loved olives and he was half convinced he was a lion."