Chapter 37: The Most Spectacular Fashion

Sometimes being a king means being an actor. But now he didn't feel like he was acting. At least not now. He actually felt hope. He will be the bird that would fly in the dark. The sun will never come. But he couldn't care less. It was better than letting fear destroy him.

So he sauntered through the array of tents.

"Hail Ahkmenrah!" some called.

"Long live the king!" called the others.

He smiled at them. But grimly he knew he would die in this war. Because when a nation loses a war the king and his family also dies. If not they will be paraded through the streets. Ahkmenrah wasn't sure he could live with the shame.

Besides if he was going to lose he wanted to lose in the most spectacular fashion. That's what Kahmunrah told him. Not directly. But Ahkmenrah could sense it. At first he could only feel it. But now he can put it in words.

He looked out at the horizon. He could just make out Sargon's army. They used to be nothing but an ominous black line. Now he could just make out the individuals. Barely.

They wore black. Their skin was lighter. There was an air of discipline about them. Nothing like Egypt. Nothing like the easy passion that coursed through the whole of the nation. Nothing like Egypt at all.

But throughout the army he could see blotches of very dark skin. Nubian dark. Does that mean...? No it couldn't have...Dala Eden had pledged his alliance. But the truth was glaring right back at him.

Nubia had betrayed them.

Which was more of a reason why he should go down in spectacular fashion.

"Ahk?" called a familiar voice. Breaking him from his trance.

"Nubia betrayed us" he answered simply.

Sabra gave him a wry smile. "You're more observant than I thought." She was clearly impressed.

"It shouldn't be a surprise. We've known each other for..." he quickly did the calculations. "Six months"

Six months since he's met Sabra. Three months after he had been announced King at his father's funeral. One month since Ramses' death.

"Six months is barely enough time to know someone." answered Sabra.

That means that there was barely enough time to fall in love. Yet I have done it. He quickly shooed the thought away. He was not in love. She was his guard. He was the Pharaoh. He simply could not risk a scandal.

"But I know you so well" he blurted out. Apparently he couldn't keep his big mouth shut.. But nonetheless he continued speaking. "I know you twist your hair when you're nervous. I know you bite your lip when you try not to laugh. I know you're very fluent in the language of sarcasm. I know you're brave and strong. I know you're proud. Not in a good ways sometimes though. But I also know you've lost something and it's eating away at you. I...I...I..."

He had definitely lost any shred of human dignity he may have held in her eyes. She looked shocked. Beyond shocked. But she composed herself.

"I guess I've underestimated you." And she truly believed it. Because the other option was dangerous. Far too dangerous. That is if they survived the war.

"So you don't think I'm an obsessive stalker."

"No you're simply observant. Unless proven otherwise."

-----------------------------------

When people look at queen Shepheret, they see a woman. A wife. A mother. A queen. They never saw her as a warrior.

Yet here she was reunited with old friends.

Her Kunai. The Avengers.

She being a sailor's daughter had been around the word. She had been to an island where people were as pale as Kahmunrah and Merenkahre. Not just a few. All of them. Their eyes looked as if they were squinting, yet it brought out a certain beauty that Shepseheret had found rather fascinating.

She will be the avenger.

There were foot steps behind her. She turned swiftly, her avengers ready to strike down the offender. Instead she was face to face with Sabaf she lowered her weapons.

The young man bowed:

"You're highness? I believe the battle field is unfit for a woman of your..."

"Status?" she guessed.

He nodded.

It had been a long time since she had seen Sabaf. He and Ahkmenrah had been great friends. But ever since Ahkmenrah and Ismara had broken off, the two men had grown distant as well.

"Sabaf do you know who I am?"

"Mother of the King of Egypt which makes you Queen until Ahkmenrah is married?" he answered though being unsure it sounded like a question.

"That is only a part of who I am. We all have many personalities. Layers upon layers. To make one whole human."

"So you're an onion and so are the rest of us"

Shepseheret laughed and shook her head.

"My father was a sailor. Some may even say he was a pirate. As his daughter I have lived a dangerous unpredictable life. I think I can handle my self on the battlefield just fine"

Sabaf could only imagine the scandal it must have caused. Yet this woman had earned the respect of the whole of Egypt.

"Then I shall fight with you your highness."

-----------------------------

This was probably their last night together. Kahmunrah decided to savour every moment. But his mind was restless.

"Ismara if we lose..." started Kahmunrah.

"We will not!" she said. But she hadn't seen what he had seen. He was glad she never would.

"Listen Ismara. If we lose, they will capture the palace. I don't think that the baby..."

"Well there is nothing you can do about it now. I won't go into hiding either."

Her pregnancy had almost reached the end of the first trimester. And as her stomach swelled so did Kahmunrah's worry. It was only then that Kahmunrah realised how brave she was. She wasn't bold and outgoing like Sabra. Not that it was a bad thing. But in her own quiet way she possessed a feminine bravery.

"May the gods keep you safe" he mumbled barely audible.

"Kahmun, if you do die, hypothetically speaking. What do you want me to tell him?"

Kahmunrah frowned for a moment as he looked into her stormy grey eyes.

"Tell him his father went down in the most spectacular fashion."

But he didn't tell her that was exactly what he was going to do.

--------------------------

Hey! I know I promised Wednesday but I was too busy watching 'Here Come the Habibs'.

Anyway how was it? Did you guys enjoy it? I hope I haven't messed up your emotions too much so far. Because I'm not even a quarter way done with this book.

Dedicated to WhiteWitchOfLorien for her wonderful suggestions. I think she may have already guessed the direction of this story.

Don't feel left out guys. I have so many people I'd love to thank. I just have a really bad memory. So I am keeping a list starting from now.

Pictures of Nubian soldiers above.