Chapter 50: Hathor and Sekhmet

Ismara sang softly. Her mother always said singing to an unborn child instilled good qualities into it. Unborn children were sensitive. They can feel better than any human ever could. If the mother felt anything, the child will feel it too. If the mother learnt anything in the time of pregnancy the child will gain that knowledge too. If an unborn child listened to music at least everyday, the language of the universe, they say it will be happy. They say special even legendary qualities were instilled in the child. But only if that music comes from the mother.

"On the golden sands the river sang

The reeds and trees whispered

Oh how the fish in the river swam

How the silver scales glittered"

Sabra too drunk in the beautiful sound of Ismara's voice, and she knew the child would be like no other.

Suddenly the singing stopped.

"What's wrong?" asked Sabra.

"I don't know. A lot of things."

"There will be a riot tonight" said Sabra after a long silence. "The slave women will be set free. Keep you doors locked."

"Give me a dagger. I want to join the fight."

"But the baby...Kahmunrah...I promised..."

This wasn't just a matter of her safety. There was also the matter of recognition. If they saw her like this, questions will be asked.

"If I wear a mask no one will recognise me. Besides its impossible that I'll return alive anyway."

If there was one thing about Ismara she was stubborn. Sabra handed her a dagger.

"Fine but stay close by me follow my shadow. We only have a few to do anyway. I did most in the day time."

Ismara smiled and took the knife.

-------------------------------------

"Montu is here? In Ineb-Hedg?" asked Kahmunrah.

"Yes. He was quite brusque." replied Ahkmenrah.

"I don't understand he was so kind to both of us. He used to give us sweets every time he came back from the market. How could have turned so bitter?"

"I don't know. But he hates me. Actually that doesn't really matter. He called Kain a coward."

"But Kain was the exact opposite. He gave his life for a country that wasn't his own."

"I know!"

That's what also added to the pain. Kain didn't even have to give his life but he did. Ahkmenrah knew it was out of a type of love. It hurt to know that Kain will never see that love return. Unless he had eyes from his heaven or his underworld.

Kahmunrah sighed.

One sigh in the whisper of many that was carried by the wind. People usually sigh when they were relieved. When they were disappointed. When there was nothing more to do. When they had given up. But the wind carried the sighs of the hopeful but oppressed. It was a sigh of acceptance of their current sorrows and misfortunes. But it was also a sigh saying that was a glimmer and spark. Better times were to come.

After all hope may be frail but it is hard to kill.

"I do wander..." Started Ahkmenrah.

"Wander what?"

"Don't kill me. How Ismara is...I haven't seen her since well the coronation."

"Why would I kill you?"