Chapter 64: Shattered Rain

I am sure the reader does not wish to be bored with lengthy descriptions of what happened in the month that followed. So I shall be brief. The food proved useful, and such escapades to collect the food continued every week. Many gained their weight gradually even those who had suffered the desert march..

Tchanun having found his voice managed to tell Ammon about his father, but instead of creating a rift between them, it brought them closer. Ahkmenrah did his best to train the cavalry, and it was said their cavalry was the strongest it had ever been. Kahmunrah looked after the archers. Sabra and Sabaf trained the infantry. Shepseheret wasn't lost in such activities, though her role was not militaristically considered important, she instilled morale within the very ranks. Her very walk made the young men and women's grim countenances turn to smiles.

Even Montu's grimness changed ever so slightly, love for one's country can do that. But his grimness was so deep set that would come back to haunt him

So for a whole month the Rogues of the Nile trained passionately, but the night before the execution of Khufu's plan many people got cold feet.

-----------------------------------

All were once again gathered at the large chamber. Sabra at the head, but this time facing a dispassionate crowd.

"How do we know we will win?!" one man cried.

"How do we know this won't go badly?" said a woman.

"Will we live under these Sumerian's forever?"

After these three comments the whole of the chamber burst into sounds of disbelief, and despite her high rank within the rebels Sabra couldn't calm them.

A certain wrath built up inside of Kahmunrah. Were the feelings of his people so fickle that one night's sleep could give them cold feet. He knew very well that love was fickle, but love for one's country should not be so. So he walked up tp a very strained Sabra and putting a comforting hand on her shoulder he gave her a smile. He silently asked her to step aside.

She willing did so, but this slight shift had gone unnoticed by the rest of the populace. So over the top of their voices Kahmunrah roared:

"STOP!"

A sudden, golden silence fell over them. They all seemed entranced.

"Look at us!" he said. "Look at what we have become. This is not the same band of warriors I met on the eve of our first battle. What am I armed with against Sargon? A band of doubting fools and cowards?"

Kahmunrah shook his head.

"I never expected this from the same people who almost won a war for their country. You have all disappointed me. You won't even fight for your freedom. Did you forget the sacrifice of your friends, families and allies?"

He was growing more livid by the minute. It was quite frankly scaring all those in the room.

"Do you remember Kain?"

For livid man, these words were spoken quite softly. His voice cracked at the end, he looked as if he were about to cry. But then his voice hardened and matched the wrath that showed on his whole being. Kain's name seemed to ignite a long forgotten spark, now it was time to feed the flames.

"You've forgotten him haven't you? Worthless creatures! He sacrificed all he had for us! His wife-to-be was one of the first victims, along with our dear Ramses. He sacrificed his own life to save my baby brother! For all he had lost there must have been something of worth in our nation, something worth fighting for. I thought I knew. But I don't see it anymore!"