Chapter 66: Old is Gold

By the end of that week hey had sent the Sumerians off with as many riches as they could afford to go give. It was indeed one of the strangest wars that both sides had fought on. Later when the Sumerians soldiers were asked of their time in Egypt they would simply answer by saying that Egypt was a land which can never by conquered but in turn conquers you. In more ways than one.

The Egyptians dare not celebrate while the Sumerians stayed, in danger of enticing their wrath.

But now that they had left preparations in the Capital, Ineb-Hedg was in full swing.

------------------------------

Kahmunrah looked at himself up and down the mirror. The clothing was heavy and lavish. He marveled at how well they covered his weaker figure. He looked like his old self. Almost.

"You've been staring at yourself for far too long." Stated Ahkmenrah with a smile. "You're not that good looking."

"You're just jealous that not many women have fallen for you."

"They just can't handle the whole me."

"I know one girl who might."

"Kahmun!"

"Well in all honesty I think she'd be able to handle anything."

"Kahmun! She could be right outside this door."

"Unlikely, she most likely getting ready."

"Shut your mouth before I sew it closed!"

"I'm only pointing out what is obvious."

"Your majesties!" came the voice of a servant. "The ceremony has started."

"You are always making us late..." muttered Kahmunrah.

"I wasn't the one staring at myself in the mirror for half an hour."

----------------------------------------

Ahkmenrah made it just in time. Only just. The procession had started as both Ahkmenrah and Kahmunrah ran and took their positions, pretending that they had been there the whole time. Needless to say a few smiles emerged in an otherwise solemn ceremony.

Ahkmenrah made his way to the throne. By now, everyone accepted that he was still in hold of kingship.

As the low drumbeats hushed Ahkmenrah stood up and outstretched his arms.

"My people." He started. Kahmunrah had prepared most of the speech for him, there were only a few bits Ahkmenrah had changed for his own purposes. "There are times when a darkness must arise and consume us. In that darkness terrible things come to power. Monsters rise and the ancient evils take over our hearts. But there is always a glimmer of hope, the good things. This is where the stories of heroes emerge, stories of the greatest courage. Because in these dark times there are still good and they are always worth fighting for."

He took in a deep breath. "I must commend all of you. Even those who were unable to fight. For it is always the small deeds that keep danger at bay. But if I try and congratulate you all today, I would be here for many years."

A small chuckle erupted from the crowd.

"But I would like to call forward those who I know made the biggest efforts to help us win."

A little boy came forward with gold cushion with three rings.

He picked up the silver one and raised it above so that all could.

"Sabaf." He called and Sabaf came forward and knelt before him. "Rise my friend, for you have now been granted the title of Captain of the Guard."

He smiled and slipped the ring on Sabaf's finger.

"Sabra." She too came forward and before she knelt Ahkmenrah stopped her. "My lady, you bow to no one. I am unworthy." He almost said 'my queen' but hadn't meant to say these words but they felt right. "All of you must remember our Commander-in-Chief, brave man who knew my father. Sadly he too sacrificed his life for this cause among many others. For starting and leading the resistance when I couldn't I grant her Commander-In-Chief of the Egyptian army."

He slipped the gold and green ring on her finger. It marked the first woman in Egypt to ever be so.

"The reverent ten." The lined up in front of him and they too were stopped from bowing. Instead he knelt to them and following his lead those present too bowed. "You have suffered much and I bow to your suffering. I can give you titles and promises, it will be cheap coming from me. But you ten now hold a seat in my council."

He congratulated a flurry of more people, yet the third ring remained in the cushion.

He gave a grin. "Last and certainly not least. My dear brother, come but do not bow, embrace me instead."

Kahmunrah did just that. With their arms still around each other Ahkmenrah said for all to hear:

"You my brother, my other half, my friend, my counselor. What more can I grant you? I cannot abdicate my throne in fear of insulting our father. But from here on you are my grand advisor."

He slipped the silver and blue ring on his brother's finger then both facing the crowd raised their entwined hands in victory.

------------------------------------------

Ismara heard the door creak open she turned and felt two arms wrap around her. She gave a content sigh as Kahmunrah kissed her forehead. It wasn't erratic or passionate; it was calm just like him. But behind it there was a whole flurry of emotions.

"I missed you." He whispered, his forehead touching hers.

"You made it back. I knew you would." She said, scarcely able to believe her eyes.

Kahmunrah smiled and took out an arrow. The same arrow that had killed his executioner. He handed it to her.

"I believe this is yours." He said.

She took it aghast.

"You...you kept it all this time?"

"How could I not. But I also believe you have been helping in more ways than one." He grinned again. "What did I do to deserve a beautiful and brave woman as you?"

Tears stung Ismara's eyes. Beautiful and Brave? What did she deserve to hear such words. He did not deserve her, he was a much nobler than she. But she smiled and shrugged.

He laughed and looked at her so lovingly that she almost burst into tears.

"The baby has grown so much since I was gone. Looks like he will finally know his father."

"Only three more months to go." She smiled before proceeding to take him by the hand and placing it on her belly.

From under his fingers Kahmunrah could feel a low throb.

"It's kicking." He stated, thoroughly amazed. Ismara squeezed his hand. He looked up and noticed her distress. He understood exactly what she meant to say.

"We'll find a way to tell Ahk." He said. "I promised. Just not yet."

"When then? We can't keep this up forever. The baby's going to grow up and he'll be a man one day. I don't want his pride to be broken before he's even born."

"Ismara trust me. I will find a way."

-------------------------------------------

Yet again another chapter. 24.1k reads? wow This is honestly the best thing. I thank you all for everything you have done, but Ahkmenrah's story has not finished just yet. :)

Remember to comment. Because that is what inspires me to write.