Chapter 27: Keeping the Peace

Picture of Nailah above. Don't know her? Don't worry you'll find out who she is soon. Lol I should be studying but I just needed to write this down. Don't worry I'll ace my exams.

Some of Kain's story is based off parts of 'Spartacus' by Howard Fast. Enjoy.

-----------------------------------

"So that's why you're still alive." whispered Sabra as Kain finished his tale. They were sitting in the living room of Seknut's house. Seknut had greeted this mysterious young man happily. She had gone to bed now, being an old ailing woman she valued her sleep. Before she went she warned the two against any 'funny business', but she knew she didn't really need to.

He smiled. "It's good to see you again Sabra."

"Like wise."

A comfortable silence then Kain asked:

"How is Pretty Boy? He seemed to be in a good mood last time I saw him"

Sabra smiled.

"He was in a better mood after hearing of your apology. But he's really stressed. The things that had happened in the last three months are really to much to handle for someone his age."

"You have faced much more at a younger age."

"Kain you don't really understand do you."

"Never really was an empathetic person. But I must have added to his stress."

"You didn't. Sargon did. Though I have to admit the general's tactics are good. Attack when there is a new inexperienced king."Kain nodded agreeing. Then Sabra asked. "Is that what your top secret mission was? To inform Egypt of Sumer's adversity?"

"Yes it was. But I also came here to visit my soon to be wife. She lives here in Ineb-Hedg."

The news finally sunk in. Kain was betrothed. Sabra smiled. She felt happiness. A man she had considered a brother had finally found love. Even if she did think love was pointless.

"Congratulations Kain! I'm really happy for you! Who is she? I might know her."

"Nailah" he said smiling a special smile that must have been reserved for his beloved. Because Sabra never saw him smile like that before. Sabra recalled the lovely slim women that lived on the other side of Ineb-Hedg near the desert. They didn't know each other very well but they had talked amicably from time to time. Sabra was sure that if there wasn't two whole kilometers between them this girl would have been one of her good friends.

"What a small world" remarked Sabra.

"You know her?"asked Kain excitedly.

"I do. She is a friend. She told me she was betrothed to man from Awan. I never asked who it was."

"Well you know now don't you"

Sabra then started teasing him like a big sister would tease her little brother when the little brother falls in love. Then when his face was scarlet Sabra decided to give it a break and she asked:

"So tell me what do you do now?"

"I work in the Imperial court of Awan as a General."

"I wonder how that came to be. Last time I checked you were a wanted man in Awan." she said teasingly.

Kain laughed. "Let me tell you a story, it happened earlier this year. It has a little bit of violence, the new Emperor of Awan, a gallant hero, (at this gestured dramatically to himself making Sabra laugh) a fair maiden (he smiled his special smile) and a little bit of romance."