Chapter 67: Flesh and Bone

Ahkmenrah slid his fingers across the cool alabaster of the balcony that was just outside his room. He sighed sweetly looking at the splendid setting of the sun, it's beautiful orange and gold light seemed to kiss the land the before him. He felt like he finally understood why Kahmunrah loved looking out this balcony at sunset.

The door creaked open behind him and he heard the swift footfalls of his brother ready to join him.

"I told you it was beautiful." Said Kahmunrah.

"I took it for granted. All of this and what I was."

"Well you got quite a rude awakening then didn't you."

"I deserved it. I'm not taking this for granted ever again."

"And you won't little brother."

"Where were you? I've been waiting for quite a while."

Kahmunrah paused. "I need to tell you something?"

"Did you get someone pregnant?"

Kahmunrah seemed mortally horrified at this suggestion. His jaw tightened and the muscles on his neck clenched. Ahkmenrah wasn't very experienced in discerning emotions. He only felt as if he had wounded his pride one way or another.

"I was only joking, what is it?"

"I...I...well...it's Ismara...she...is very sick...I saw her today to thank her for her efforts in this war. I think one of the soldiers may have...you know."

He hated this lying to his own brother, whom he loved with his soul, who was his very flesh and bone.But couldn't bring himself to break his heart.

Ahkmenrah frowned. "On top of her very grave illness that Sabaf had mentioned? She didn't deserve it. Any of it. How ever much she hurt me. I must see her. Will you come with me?"

"I shall, but not today. In her condition, she needs all the rest she can get."

"You're right. What did you think of my speech today?"

"You mean the one I wrote for you? I thought it rather splendid."

"Well you are High Advisor now..."

"I don't deserve even that."

"No. You didn't." Said Ahkmenrah. "You deserved kingship."

"Ahk...I don't..."

"I mean it! One day I will find a way to make you Pharaoh."

"Ahk please...let us talk no more of this."

It was then that Ahkmenrah realised that Kahmunrah was trying his very best to control his tears. So he stopped talking and looked out.

"It's strangely peaceful." Remarked Ahkmenrah.

"Indeed it is."

----------------------------------------------------

Sabra opened the door of Seknut's house. She heard her Aunt's heavy footsteps. Seknut's appeared from the kitchen and with tears in her eyes she crushed her niece into a tight embrace while smothering her with kisses.

"I'm so proud of you!" She whispered. She pulled away. "Look at you the first female Commander-in-Chief."

"You knew?"

"Your little boyfriend told me so himself."

"Ahk is not my..."

"So you knew who I was talking about. If that doesn't tell me something, then I don't know what does."

Old women and their matchmaking. Thought Sabra spitefully.

"He can't love me. I'm not beautiful and I am but a commoner."

"If you think beauty is merely the shape of one's flesh and bones you are wrong. That is not true beauty, that is the superficial thinking of a fool. Genuine beauty lies in bravery, kindness, virtue and nobility. Your flesh and bone may be ravaged by time and turn to ash until there is nothing left. But these virtues will become one of the great deeds of mankind and will be remembered for centuries. That makes makes you more beautiful and of more noble blood that any woman in the court. Those embellished whores."

"Aunty! You can't just assume that they are all like that."

"Indeed I can't now but you should have seen them in my days Sabra, throwing themselves at any man who merely glanced their way. And always vying for the attention of the King and his heir. There was a secret harem, that most of them were a part of. Until Shepseheret came along. She was feisty, hated by most women of the court for her brightness, beauty, fierceness and common blood. Though She quickly put an end to this prostitution once she was queen." Seknut's smiled at the memory.

This was news to Sabra's ears and she drunk in this new information.

"I hope you too my dear will be remembered like she will be." Said Seknut.

"I promise I will be one of the greatest woman who have ever lived."

"Good. Now Where is that young man, Kain? I had grown quite fond of him, I haven't seen him since we lost the war three months ago."

Kain had died three months ago but the pain and flames left by his passing could never quite be extinguished. Sabra burst into tears.

--------------------------------------------------

Tchanun lay across the river bank with Ammon at his side. The cool night air was against their bodies and the sand scratched their skin. They looked up at the glistening night sky, where the constellations seemed to come to life.

"Look Tchanun do you see it? It's the archer!"

"I see it Ammon, calm down."

"Father told me that we turn into stars once we die, do you think that's true?"

Tchanun smiled, tears slid down his cheeks.

"Yes they do. The brightest star over their would be your brother Ramses. Then that one, the second brightest, that would be your father. They are looking over you. They are proud of all you have done."

"Then why did you get a seat at the high council and I didn't?"

"I don't know, ask your cousin."

"I did and both Ahk and Kah said I was too young for anything."

"You are only thirteen."

"What are you? Fifteen?" Scoffed Ammon.

Tchanun was silent.

"Oh you are fifteen!"

Tchanun laughed. "I hope you don't have qualms about spending your time with an older boy."

Ammon shook his head "After all we have been through how can I have qualms."

The he got up and brushed the sand off his limbs.

"We should get going. Your mother would be worried sick."

"So would yours." Answered Tchanun slinging an arm around Ammon.

Ammon felt something stir in his flesh and bones. Something that seemed forbidden, but beautiful. He hadn't been able to come to terms with this sort of love. It wasn't shunned in Egyptian society, but it was very uncommon. But what he felt it for this boy was very strong, he didn't know whether these feelings would be reciprocated.

This moment brought out something wild and fervent in Ammon's heart. 

He didn't realise he had both arms around Tchanun. He didn't realise anything until all he could feel were his own lips pressing against Tchanun's, succumbing to a wild passion.

------------------------------------------------

Yay! My first gay couple on wattpad! I hope you enjoyed it. Enjoy the peace while it lasts, this is only the salm before the shitstorm.