Chapter 4: The Tablet

It was well after midnight when the guests had dispersed to their accommodations. Ahkmenrah and Kahmunrah had fallen into a blissful slumber. No doubt waking up with a pounding headache the next morning considering the amount of wine they had consumed.

Khufu and his twin children Ismara and Sabaf were not at the banquet. There had always been an air of hostility between the two branches of the family try as they might to hide it ever since Ahkmenrah and Ismara had broken off their engagement. Shepseheret was also asleep but the Pharaoh himself was awake.

Merenkahre slipped out of the room and walked past the hallway. He caught a glimpse of sons sleeping and smiled. Even though they had been given many rooms all over the palace it seemed that they would always sleep in this same room, over looking the city. Merenkahre had dearly craved this kind of love between him and his brother Mehoutep but jealousy for the throne had overcome those feelings. He prayed to the gods that nothing should separate them.

Then silently he walked to a small chamber in a hidden corner of the palace. Carefully he opened the alabaster door and went inside.

It was empty inside except in the far end there was a black stone wall. Engraved upon it was the names of all the gods and the name of Merenkahre his wife and children. In the centre of the black stone was a large golden tablet.It was a gate called the Neter-Khertet a passageway to the Duat. The tablet was something he had fashioned with magic and gold after Ahkmenrah was born. He had simply called it the Tablet.

All together the combination of the Tablet and stone wall looked sinister. Its nature was rather sinister if not used properly. The tablet in the centre of the wall was made from pure gold. Nine smaller spinning tablets formed a square in its centre. Each smaller tablet was engraved with small pictures of animals and gods. Each picture represented a number.

Below was a picture of Isis with her wings spread out like that of an eagle. Merenkahre took a deep breath and entered the code.

3...2...7...8...2...4

The tablet shone gold light quite like the chariot of Ra. The door which at first looked like a carving upon the black stone opened revealing the endless waves of the Duat.

Merenkahre entered, the sands of the Duat recognised his presence. The multicoloured sand that looked the rare rainbows gifted to the land swirled around him putting him in another landscape. The council of the gods.

Around him stood tall towering figures of the gods. Many with the heads of animals but all in all exquisite and beautiful.

"Take a seat Merenkahre" said Ra whose head changed from an exquisite Rams head to an equally equisite falcon head as time passed. "How is the golden land of the fourth kings?" Merenkahre didn't answer.

Instead as he sat down and he said "I would like to ask a favour"

"What kind of favour?" Asked the high clear voice of Isis. Her opal wings glimmering from their own light, her dark hair and beautiful features rivaled the brilliance of Shepseheret's.

"I would like my family to unite on earth after death".

"We have told you many times Merenkahre..." Started Orisis god of death.

"Why not?"

"It's against the balance of Ma'at" answered Thoth the all knowing.

"Is there any other way?" Pleaded Merenkahre.

Khonsu the moon god studied Merenkahre with his bright silver eyes. He then spoke in a voice that was deep like the night sky but laced with the brightness of the moon and stars:

"There is...but that would require a sacrifice"

Sensing some sort of underlying menace, Merenkahre then asked cautiously:

"What kind of sacrifice?"

"One of your sons" this time Khonsu's voice was as dark as moonless, starless night.

"Never" whispered Merenkahre.

"Then I'm afraid we can't help you" said Orisis.

Merenkahre was silent for a while. All the gods looked at him expectantly. Finally he spoke.

"Can I at least tell my sons about the Tablet's existence. For I fear that my time is near,"

Ra's ram lips twisted in a strange smile.

"Only of its existence though"

"Of Course"

"Do you vow until death"

"I vow until death"

---------------------

As soon as he woke up Ahkmenrah was met by a pounding headache. So much that he instantly groaned and buried his head deep in the pillows.

"Wake up sleepy head" said Kahmunrah in high spirits.

"No" Groaned Ahkmenrah. "My head hurts"

"No kidding brother" then Kahmunrah chuckled remembering the night before.

"Oh gods of Egypt! Why did I do?!" Ahkmenrah's shouts muffled by the pillow.

"Well you started flirting with the stray dog...but don't worry little brother that was the least of your problems."

"Gods of Egypt! I disgraced father didn't I?" Groaned Ahkmenrah in his pillow.

Kahmunrah chuckled. "On the contrary you amused him and the guests. But he said you might refrain from drinking so much next time"

In answer to this Ahkmenrah groaned once again. There was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" Said Kahmunrah.

In entered one of the servants. His name was Nihotep he was Merenkahre's most trusted servant.

"The king requests your presence" announced Nihotep.

"Tell father that we'll be their in a minute...I just need to get this drunken ass off this bed..."

"Hey!" Exclaimed Ahkmenrah finally lifting his head from the pillow.

Kahmunrah smiled cordially at Nihotep. Nihotep smiled back but left so quickly that the smile could only be caught by sharp eyes. Kahmunrah's dark eyes were very sharp.

Looking at Ahkmenrah amusedly Kahmunrah then tugged his brother until he was able stand. As soon as he stood up though, he retched and the contents of banquet spilled on the floor covered in stinking bile.

-----------------------------

The three men stood in front of the Neter-Khertet with the golden Tablet at its centre. They were all intimidated yet fascinated by this sinister looking artifact.

Finally Merenkahre spoke. "I have brought you here today to show you The Tablet"

"Does it do anything?" Asked Ahkmenrah in a groggy voice.

"Do...anything?" Merenkahre questioned his son.

"I mean it has to do something" stated Ahkmenrah.

"Well at night.." Started the Pharaoh started excitedly almost forgetting his vow to the gods.

"No, really father, I am past your bedtime stories, what does it actually do?"

Merenkahre grimaced remembering his vow. He then said "Nothing it's just for decoration"

"Knew it!" Whispered Ahkmenrah to his brother. Kamunrah's face was devoid of any emotion.

"Father there was something important you wanted to tell us." He stated

"Yes and that is...I fear my time is coming very soon. I must request that you look after this tablet. When you feel all is lost and only when all is all is lost you must enter the code 3...2...7...8...2...4."

"What is that going to do?" Asked Ahkmenrah.

Merenkahre smiled but said nothing. Then finally he said "I believe it is time for your archery lessons"

------------------------