Chapter 81: A Clash of Swords

"So.." Drawled Khufu. "He isn't dead?"

"I couldn't just kill him!" Protested Kahmunrah. "He-"

"He what? Showed your mercy?" Khufu shook his head. "You are blind. Did he even offer to make sure the child was not a bastard?"

"My child is no bastard!" Kahmunrah was shaking now. "Ismara is my legal wife.:

"Yes." Khufu's tone was sarcastic. "But with the secrecy and scandal surrounding your marriage your child might as well be. Unless Ahkmenrah decrees otherwise."

"He's my brother...surely-"

"The brother you loved died when he stole your crown, perhaps even long before that."

Kahmunrah remained silent. Yet something pulsed within him. This was wrong he couldn't do it. Yet it was true. Ahkmenrah was no longer the brother he loved. He was a monster.

"Tonight then." He confirmed. "At sunset I'll do it."

Khufu smiled.

"It had best be done." He stated. "Or you will never find courage to do so again."

————————

The council sat with Sabra at their head. No one argued when she casually announced that she would be championing their cause. She was the best among them. The room was thrown into frenzy when Sabaf did the same.

"Surely not!" Cried an old soldier by the name of Akhenaten. "You've been bed-riddled for three days you fool."

"He's right." Seconded Sabra. "You simply cannot."

"It was me who let them breach the wall."

There was a sudden laughter amongst them, it was Nitocris.

"You really are a self righteous idiot." She said. "I'll do it. I am next in line to rule the city. I've been trained to fight. Let it not be said a woman stood idle as the men fought."

Sabra found herself smiling. "Show me how you will fight then."

————————

Ahkmenrah had just finished the decree that announced his future niece or nephew as legally born and thus second in line to his throne with his mother as regent should anything happen to him or Kahmunrah. That was when the door creaked open.

"Montu?" He questioned.

Montu entered, proud features wrought in seriousness, clad in fighting leathers a sword strapped to the belt.

"How's the leg?" He replied as a way of greeting.

Ahkmenrah shrugged. Montu's sharp eyes found their way to the clay tablet.

"A new decree?" Questioned the veteran.

Ahkmenrah had wanted it to be surprise to his brother. He couldn't have Montu ruining it. So he shrugged again.

"Perhaps."

"Well I guess even Kings have their secrets."

Ahkmenrah stood and crossed the floor to the warrior.

"What brings you here Uncle."

He hadn't used that word Uncle for thirteen years. It felt strange on his his tongue, but familiar. Like feet slipping into old sandals.

Montu smiled his eyes seemed to glisten with tears. He took out the sword from his waist and presented it to Ahkmenrah. "I came to give you this."

"I treasure this gift."

"No you do not know of its significance." Said Montu. "I know you have many swords, but this one, was one your father had given me after our first victory in Nubia. Do you want to know what he said to me?"

"What did he say?"

"He said 'My friend, may this sword protect you when I cannot do the same.' It's a good job so far. I want you to have it now. You'd be...mistaken...not to sleep with it by your side."

Ahkmenrah felt a tightness at his throat at the memory of his dead father. He could feel it all. He could hear his father's voice.

"Thank you." He managed.

"No need." Said Montu. "Egypt cannot afford to lose another good king."

————————

Sabra stepped into the arena, the borders made of the bodies of men, still alive. The dying light of the sun illuminated the sands as Seker himself came up to fight her.

"Scared?" He asked once she was close enough.

Sabra gave him a menacing lopsided grin.

"You wish."

With that she swung her sword at his neck. He missed narrowly his amused expression becoming one of fear and then anger. With that he lunged forward. But Sabra stepped quickly dodging his blows. This only angered him further.

His accuracy worsened as his blows became harder. Soon Sabra had him pinned against the floor.

Victory. She thought. She was wrong.

He spat in her face. In that moment of distraction her threw her off. Her head hit the hard floor beneath. She felt darkness overcome her.

————————

The sun was setting. He knew then that his brother would be sound asleep. No was the time to strike. Kahmunrah walked into the room and saw that Ahkmenrah was sound asleep.

I will be quick. He thought. Despite all he's done to me I can at least grant him a merciful death.

He lifted his sword and just as he delivered the blow, steel met his own. Green eyes stared up at him.

Ahkmenrah's faced transformed from one of pure determination to one of shock.

"Kahmun..." he breathed. "You..."

He lowered his sword. He stood still. He was exposed, vulnerable. Kahmunrah could strike now and end it all here, but then Ahkmenrah spoke.

"Why?"

Kahmunrah stood in silence. His sword too now lowered. He tried to find a way to get out of here, this situation. Make up an excuse, but he found he could only tell the truth.

"You stole everything from me!" He hissed. "Everything. My crown, father's love and you thought I would stand idle."

"You know I never wanted this..."

"You lying bastard! I hate you!"

Tears were now flowing freely from Ahkmenrah's eyes as he stood up. His lips quivered with the emotions that burst through him.

"How is it that you have come to hate me so?" He managed out, taking his brother's hand. He breathed once. Twice. "Even now...I-I wish that the gods, that father had chosen you as king. Being your foe was the last thing that I wanted."

"Then give me my crown."

"I cannot you know the rules. I would if I could."

"You lie!" cried the Prince, wrenching his hand free from his brothers.

"Let this madness go!"

"This is what you wanted wasn't it?" Mocked Kahmunrah. "You never loved me as much as I did. I had vowed to protect you since your birth. And you betray me like this! Never mind how high the toss may go. I won't let this madness go."

"How can you say that?" Ahkmenrah was sobbing now, the sadness plaguing his chest tormenting it.

"I will not be seduced by your tears." Kahmunrah answered coldly. "Go fuck yourself."

"Once..." whispered Ahkmenrah. "Once I called you brother. Once I thought that seeing you laugh was all I ever wanted."

With that he left the room.