CHapter 59: Embody

Tchanun wanted to say many things. But the words seemed to be stuck. He could not say a word. Not one. A deathly silence had encased him. Ahkmenrah looked at him, eyes still fresh with tears after seeing his uncle's dead body. Kahmunrah sat beside head bent, his hands furiously pulling at his hair, as if on the brink of insanity. (For he had no time shave his hair in the proper manner of Egyptian princes, only Ahkmenrah had ever disregarded this rule and indeed his hair had grown rather long and shaggy whereas Kahmunrah's was really only long enough to pull at.)

Just as deathly silence had fallen over Tchanun, a strong sense of guilt had fallen over both Ahkmenrah and Kahmunrah. Had it not been for them none of them would had lost their lives or their sanity.

Tchanun gave them a meaningful look. He had never seen them in person. But now that he saw them he couldn't help but feel a sense of nobility. During his suffering, he wandered if it was all worth it for saving them. But now realised that this was never a matter of who they were, for as noble and generous as they may have been it was not their character that mattered. It was what they embodied. They embodied the nation. And in his youthful passion (for he was only fifteen) he was ready to lay down his life for the betterment of the lives of others. But none-the-less he struck by their magnanimous guilt.

He tried to say that. But as expected no a word escaped his throat.

"I'm sorry..." whispered Ahkmenrah. His voice strained, cracking at the last syllable. He wanted to burst into full-fledged tears and was on the very verge of doing so. He gave Tchanun and the other five another apologetic look before getting up.

Kahmunrah remained. He looked up. Not trying to hide the warring emotions that were displayed across his features. He looked at the half dead emaciated men. He knew self-pity wouldn't get him anywhere. If anything he would lose the little respect he had.

"Each and every one of you were brave." He started. All eyes turned towards him and he felt an incomprehensible sense of nervousness. But he channeled it to his own advantage. "Your deeds will be sung throughout the land. I know this sounds like meaningless drivel. But I will remember you. The nation will. You have suffered much, and I...I bow in all sincerity to the suffering of the Reverent Ten."

No one responded. At least not verbally. Tchanun gave a smile. The first he had given in what he felt was a long time. He knew Kahmunrah was too proud, far too proud to ask for forgiveness. But Tchanun silently forgave him anyway.

-------------------------

Ismara read over the letter that Sabra sent. What she was requesting was impossible. But not entirely so. Ismara took in a deep breath.

Was she brave enough to do it? She felt as if she had to move heaven, earth and hell to achieve it. She looked down at her swollen belly. For the sake of her child she would do anything. But the same old thoughts raged through her mind. She will die either way. In one way she will be known as coward, the other as a hero.

She had already proved he bravery but no one else had known it was she. The very human thought of leaving behind a glorious legacy had visited her. The thought being remembered is a strong thing. It is what drives many people to do the extraordinary, whether it is good or evil.

Slowly a plan formulated in her mind. She smiled to herself it was risky, it was reckless. It reminded her so much of Ahkmenrah, but she doubted even he would attempt something as risky as this. And if you add in the factor of her condition, it was completely daring and most of all mad.

But in her heart of hearts, she knew it was the only choice she had.

-------------------------------

Shepseheret hastened to meet her sons. She had wanted to do so ever since she had first heard they were in the vicinity. It had been over twenty days, the three of them had been so caught up in their own works that they had no time for each other.

She hurriedly ran through the corridors, light footed and giddy. She entered the room where she heard Ahkmenrah and Kahmunrah were staying.

Her heart filled with much emotion seeing her two sons. It was something she could not describe, a mixture or love, anger, sadness and longing. Kahmunrah and Ahkmenrah both rose and in the next second the three were in interlocked in a tight embrace.

As soon as she pulled away she kissed Kahmunrah on the forehead. With his signature grin on his face Ahkmenrah teased:

"I always knew he was the favourite son."

Shepseheret laughed and she kissed him on the forehead as well.

"To me Ahk, you and Kahmun are both one person. Whether I kiss your brother or you, for me it is the same thing."

"Excuses mother!"

"Ahk!"

"I'm only joking. Father used to say the same thing."

An air of sadness had fallen over them.

"Merenkahre would have been proud of you both." Said Shepseheret with firmness.

Kahmunrah shook his head and Ahkmenrah remained silent.

"We've done nothing." Answered Kahmunrah. "We've lost a war. Many men have died because of us. Many families have been ruined. Do we deserve to be protected now as we are?"

"Your father asked me the very same question after the first war with the Nubians. Before the signing of the peace treaty."

"What did you say?" asked Ahkmenrah.

"I said that it was never really about him as a person. Because in reality no one is born greater than the other. It is circumstance that makes us great. But no, it is what you represent that people fight for, not who you are. Because believe me when you embody a nation people will lay their lives for you. But not for your sake, for the sake of nations."

"So its true what they say." Started Kahmunrah with smile. "Behind every man is an even greater woman."

"But for you Kahmun..." started Ahkmenrah teasingly "You'll have a thousand greater women ready support you. Am I right?"

Kahmunrah rolled his eyes. But now the idea of womanizing detested him.

At the moment a voice called "Kahmun, Ahk I must speak with you!"

It was Khufu. Shepseheret turned and frowned. She had only just had a conversation with her sons and now they were being taken from her.

All the while Khufu studied Shepseheret with a concealed yet lustful gaze. This will be my prize when I have the crown. He reminded himself.

---------------------------------

 Yes! ANother chapter! Admittedly another short one! But a chapter none the less. Cheesy_Bread537 I will fill out ur requirements. Give me time. Dedicated to sparkla624 (one of my bestest friends) for reading this silently on the plane and being ever so supportive.