Chapter 14: Crocodile Tears

Dedicated to @LukeFrickenHemmings for voting and commenting on every chapter.

---------------------------------------

Their third day in Heliopolis was going to be relaxed. There was no schedule for the day. They could do as they pleased. Everything was going to be fine. Well that was what they thought.

The brothers had decided to go to the banks of the Nile to swim. When Khufu heard of this he realised this could be another opportunity to kill someone from the royal family. Once he would have killed Kahmunrah and Ahkmenrah it would be quite easy to kill off the king. Then the throne could be his. If this plan worked then good. But if it didn't then he would just revert back to his old plan where he killed the king first then made the family's life living hell.

He called the princes' guide, Senet, to his room. He handed him one hundred Gold Debens (A/N:Before coins started to circulate in ancient Egypt around 500 BC, there was a system of values based on weights of gold, silver and copper. Metal measured in units of weight known as deben (around 90 g) could be used to settle bills and to trade). Khufu told him to lead the princes to water where it is not wholly infested with crocodiles but where there are certain to be one or two hungry ones. Senet nodded, his whole being shaking. He had never seen such malice in someone's eyes. Crocodile eyes he thought at one point. He also knew if he failed he would die; at least these 100 gold Debens would help his family.

He scurried out of the room and back to his own where Kahmunrah and Ahkmenrah were sure to call on him. Senet waited for one tense hour when he heard a knocking on his door. Senet opened it and found himself looking at Kahmunrah who had a smile on his face.

"We're ready." He announced. Senet nodded and lead them out of the palace towards the Nile River. He led them to the place where Khufu had told him to take them.

Despite acting the idiot, Ahkmenrah had an amazing memory. He was able to memorize the path they took so he told Senet to go back to the palace and inform Merenkahre of their whereabouts. Senet nodded, relieved at not being able to witness the bloody scene that was due to unfold.

The place was beautiful just like the rest of Heliopolis. The river was a striking shade of blue in the mid-afternoon. The ripples atop the water glistened in the sun. Sunlight streamed through the palm trees, the same shade of green as Ahkmenrah's eyes. There was some sort of fruit tree near the river, its branches trying to reach the other end of the river but where unsuccessful.

The three of them wore thick clothing, even though Sabra had no intention of swimming with them. As the two brothers made their way to the water Sabra sat by the edge and took out a scroll. She blocked out their laughter and splashing and concentrated on the scroll which was written in Hebrew. It was the story of a notorious assassin known by the name of The Winged Man, for when he leaped from one roof to another it looked as if he was flying.

As she was half way though the story she saw a droplet of water landing on the writing, she looked up thinking it was rain but saw Ahkmenrah and Kahmunrah standing before her.

"What are you doing?" questioned Ahkmenrah.

"I'm reading what does it look like." She answered him, glaring as she did so, slightly angered at the fact that the ink was smudged.

"Aren't you swimming?" he asked again oblivious to her anger.

"No" she answered curtly.

"Please do not tell me you can't swim or play. When was the last time you actually had fun?"

Six years ago she thought but she didn't say anything. Instead she shrugged her shoulders.

"Please can you swim with us?" implored Ahkmenrah. Sabra shook her head. Somehow his pleas made her feel a bit uncomfortable.