Chapter 56: Lies

Two days.

Hardly any food or water, walking through the burning desert took its toll on them. One had dropped dead. The death march had truly begun.

Tchanun felt as if he could drop off any minute. They days were long and relentless, the hours going on and on and on. Every second was akin to infinity. Finally Ra came down to the Duat and the coolness of night overcame them.

They were given half a bowl of grain and a handful of water then. It was the only food they got that day. They ate and drank ravenously wolfing down their meager food and drink. Once they were finished they had to watch the soldiers eat their food. They didn't actually have to watch, but how can they fail to do just that when all they got was grain and water when the soldiers had meat! Real fat juicy meat! Enough to feed them all for ten days.

It had only been two days since the death march had commenced but it was two days too many for Tchanun. Seeing the soldiers eat their meat was the last straw. A spark lit itself in his mind. Slowly it was fanned by the winds of hunger and desperation, it turned to flame...then a firestorm.

------------------------------

Once he was sure that Kahmunrah was sound asleep, Ahkmenrah clambered out of the small room and searched for something to do. Sabra seemed to be the one in charge so he decided to seek her out. He limped about, his eyes searching for the blue eyed, wild haired woman who wield sword better than a man.

He finally found her scrutinizing papyrus. From where he was he couldn't make out what was one the papyrus but as he came closer he saw it was the plans of the palace.

"Let me guess these are the master plans?" he asked her.

Startled she looked up. Her blue eyes met his green ones and she gave him a smile.

"You guessed right" she answered.

"Can you tell me?"

"Not yet, I was sworn to secrecy until the plans were final."

"But I'm the Pha – "

"No Ahk you're not the Pharaoh. Not anymore. You and Kahmun, you may be our hope, but you are not king yet. That's not the real reason for secrecy though. Even I do not know Khufu's motives. Besides I don't break promises."

Any offence he might have felt disappeared

"I feel useless." he admitted to her.

"Well you're good with horses aren't you?" she asked. Ahkmenrah gave a slight nod and smile. "Well we managed to get a few horses in here."

"How the hell did you get horses in here?"

--------------------------------

She led him down a corridor wide enough for three men to walk side by side. He could almost imagine people leading horses here. But it still puzzled him, more so it seemed strange that horses could live undergrounds. But strange things often happened in the direst of situations.

Sabra turned to look at him and smiled, amused at his puzzlement, at which his expression turned more confused.

Finally they came to a large round stone that seemed to be covering the entrance to something. Curiosity pierced through his confusion.

"Help me move this." She said taking her place to side of the large stone. He took his place beside her and helped push the large stone away. His curiosity growing with every groan and grumble of the large stone.

Finally the stone was moved and both of them made their way through the entrance.

Ahkmenrah's mouth hung agape, the sight before him astounded him to no end. First of all, there was sunlight. It's golden shafts streaming through, reaching the floor. Pillars and pillars surrounded them, the art vivid depicting glorious battles between gods, kings and men.