Chapter 19: Being Reckless

Yes I know I am a bad child for making you guys wait. I was going to update on Friday but I had a lot of thinking to do for this chapter. I literally did up three drafts for this one.

But I hope you enjoy.

-----------------------------------

Kahmunrah felt betrayed beyond human perception. For betrayal there had to be trust. He had trusted in his father that he would become king. He had trusted enough to let everything else go and focus on this and this only. It was as if he were a blind man and his father was his guide. The guide let go of his hand and his falling off a cliff.

He felt as if the world had fallen away from his feet as his stunned brother took his first steps towards kingship, the sands were embedded by the footprints that Ahkmenrah left behind, the stunned sullen and uncertain footprints.

That was supposed to be me. Kahmunrah thought sullenly as he watched his brother approach Khufu. Then he had another thought Is there something wrong with me? What is my life turning to? Does father not trust me enough?

He studied Ahkmenrah's face. It was shocked, like a child had been given the crown of Egypt. No his father was giving the crown of Egypt to a child. Ahkmenrah wasn't ready yet, he was only sixteen, what on earth was Merenkahre thinking. Maybe I do have something wrong with me for father to choose Ahk over me.

For Ahkmenrah every step he took was heavy. This was both an honor and a curse. The honor seemed to be outweighed by the curse. What was his father thinking? Talks of politics made his head spin, he never understood politics all he knew was that if neglected it could turn into a dirty game, how could he possibly rule Egypt?

The crowd was silent as he mad his way to Khufu. Their eyes were glued on him, his every move. What about his brother? What was going through his mind? Did he hate him?

He stood beside Khufu who grabbed a hold his wrist, a vice-like grip of python. His snakelike dark eyes seemed to flicker with delight. He raised Ahkmenrah's hand above their hand.

"Long live the king!" Khufu shouted. Out of mere politeness the crown followed suit. Kahmunrah turned his back and took his first step towards downfall, in quick paces his disappeared. Ahkmenrah watched his brother leave. Unbeknownst to those present a tear slipped down his cheek.

------------------------------------

Ismara waited silently for her 'father' to come to this room. Khufu was never her real father. Her real father had died valiantly in war. After that she had gone through many ups and downs in life. At the age of five Khufu had bought her and her twin brother Sabaf, he had told everyone that they were illegitimate and their mother had died but that wasn't so.

She often wished that hadn't happened, she would have been much happier as a slave.

She was both happy and depressed about the fact that Ahkmenrah wasn't wrapped around her little finger anymore. Happy so he could be happy. Depressed because Khufu would now make her do something more atrocious. She feared he would tell her to do just that when he arrives.

The door creaked open. She turned her head elegantly from the windowsill and was face to face with Khufu, who had a malicious look on his face.

"Sit down" he ordered. She obeyed sitting down on the graceful wooden chair.

"You have seen what happened today Ismara?" he asked.

She nodded silently.

"I had created that. Now I have a role for you." He continued not noticing her discomfort. "Kahmunrah is a strong young man. He'll get over it. But you must not let that happen."